Why are we surprised? (Jiffy Lube TV exposé)

Hey - do you think that maybe DC ought to sue Jiffy Lube and some of its own dealers over sludged up 2.7L engines?

Bill Putney

I'm not surprised, but it's still shocking to see documented evidence.

The average pers>

Reply to
Phil T

Some time ago I was in another major chain where the service tech told a woman that she needed a complete break job and motor mount change. When her car was on the lift they did not even pull her drums or remove the wheels. I took her aside and told her what had happened and then she called the police. Well I told the service manager I do not need tires and also I was a whiteness to the lies they told. The police took the guy away and locked him up.

More than likely rip-offs happen more than we expect to unsuspecting customers. Another time my wife was told at another chain that she needed a new rear motor mount and struts with springs on her Shadow when she was just in for tires. She only had 30K on the car at the time. Well she called me and I told her not to have the work done because she does not have a rear motor mount underneath on the fire wall and her struts were fine. She wakled outside with the service ticket called the police and presented the ticket to the officer. The officer confronted the guy and the guy said he got her auto and another mixed up. So the ooficer asked which vehicle when the guy had no answer away he went to the crowbar hotel.

Other than tires I do my own service and repairs for thoes who cannot and have to rely on the major chains or local mechanics, I would go with a good local persom you can always ask for referances.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

More horror stories

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Surprised? I'm not.

I used JL a couple times years and years ago when I didn't have any space to change the oil in my car (then an old VW) other than at the side of the road.

1) even after specifically requesting 20W50 oil and being charged extra for it, about 50% of the time I would get 10W30 because that's what their computer said my car should have (even though the owner's manual disagreed.) I could tell the difference because of the raucous lifter clatter.

2) The very last time I set foot in a JL, as a part of their "service" they topped up all the fluids in my car. Unfortunately, they either were out of windshield washer fluid or else they were diluting it with water. I guess I should have told them that I was leaving for PA in a couple of days (was near Xmas.) The tank froze about halfway to my destination and I had to keep stopping and manually cleaning the windshield. I got to spend xmas eve looking for a VW dealer that was open so I could get a new grommet for the WW tank (it disintegrated when I removed the tank to thaw it out inside.)

Since I never authorized any of their upsells and always watched them change the oil from a respectful distance, I never got really screwed but I will likely never be back. I found a good independent mechanic within walking distance of my office shortly after the last incident that had no problem using oil/filters that I brought myself.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Wow! I'd pay good money to have seen that.

We helped my daughter purchase a 2000 Jeep a year or so ago. The used car dealer that we bught it from gave us the name of the previous owner (with their permission). I talked to them to ask about maintenance and to tell them how well they had obviously taken care of it. The woman told me that they had religiously had the oil and filter changed every

3000 miles at a local Amerilube that their next-door neighbor owned. A couple of weeks later, I did our first oil change on it. What I found was a Mopar-brand filter on it that was so old that the unpainted crimp area at the base had heavy surface rust all around. I called the woman back as a courtesy to tell her what I found and that she had obviously been defrauded by her nice neighbor so that if she were taking her new vehicle to him for service, she might want to re-think that. I offered to mail the filter to her as evidence.

Also, caught the local DC dealer charging my elderly mother for the very first oil/filter change on her brand new Concorde about 5 years ago - I checked the filter and oil before she took it in - had a black filter that had a paint stamp on it that said "ORIGINAL FACTORY FILTER", and checked level and color of oil. When it came back, it had the same filter and oil color and level.

Bill Putney

Me also, since it is almost certainly an urban legend. It is highly unlikely that the cops would "lock someone up" for petty theft.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Coasty

I guess it depends on what you are breaking. A brake job around here is typically less than $200, unless you need new rotors and drums and a rebuild of all wheel cylinders. If all you need are pads and shoes, then $500 is outrageous.

You must have a huge jail if you haul every petty thief to jail. Do you jail jaywalkers and parking violators as well?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Correct, a break job depending on your terminology is relevant to the definition, replacing shoes and pads is just that. A break job is shoes, pads, rotors, drums, master cylinder, calipers at least in my neck of the woods.

I did a complete break job on my Ram last weekend parts $350.00 if it was done at a shop you are looking at $600.00 for all four wheels.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I'm still not sure why you want to keep breaking your vehicles, but that is your choice. If your local shops routinely replace all of the parts above when only shoes and pads are needed, maybe you should put them all in jail and find some competent mechanics that will actually assess what is needed before doing the work.

What all did you break on your Ram? If you broke the engine, that could cost a lot more than $600. :-)

Matt

P.S. Do your police officers also haul you off to jail if you don't know the difference between break and brake?

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Coasty

No, I just know the difference between a brake job and a break job.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm thinkin' they should. ;-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

:-) And the funny part is I still don't think he's caught on to what I'm pointing out to him.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Actually I could see them doing this in a smaller town. But what isn't said is that all they would do is take him down to the police station and book him and fingerprint him then let him go on his own recognisance. You should know also that this sort of behavior isn't petty theft, it's fraud, which has more serious consequences.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

It took me a bit funny fells funny I am old and slow. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Sorry, I'm not real familiar with either theft or fraud. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I think I'm going back to changing my own oil : (

Reply to
frenchy

Your very lucky then. Unfortunately, living in the big city I've become very familiar with both. :-(

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt