Why did my Suburban just die?

Today I drove my 95 GMC Suburban fairly heavily - about 250 miles. Getting home after the last leg (20 miles), I turned off the car in the driveway, then realized I wanted to move it.

I tried to start it - the lights were still on, along with various other accessories. As I turned the key, everything turned on for a fraction of a second, but before I heard the starter turn, everything dropped dead, leaving me with a dark car - no electrical power whatever. Turning the key again got zero, nada, nothing.

I thought about jumpstarting, and hooked up the battery to the jumper cables. Touching the contacts together got a nice fat spark - the battery had plenty of juice. The cables seem to be tightly attached.

Is there some kind of master breaker or fuse that may have tripped? What else could have happened?

thanks,

Peter Trei

Reply to
Peter Trei

Daniel J. Stern

Take this vehicle to your nearest Chrysler and/or Dodge dealer for a complete exam including X-rays and an MRI!

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

My guess is that it just died as most GM's do :0)

Reply to
PC Medic

Uhhh,,,,,

1992 Caprice Classic 305 with 330,000 miles on original engine and tranny. Doesn't burn an ounce of oil during it's 3k oil change interval. Usual parts over the years, water pump, 2 fuel pumps, power steering pump, brakes, 2 starters, 3 radiators and assorted little stuff. Easy to fix and parts are dirt cheap.

I also have a 2000 Dodge Caravan with 60k on it. Two tranny output sensors, a steering rack, swaybar bushings, an ECU, starter motor and a transmission control module. Most covered by extended warranty. I will be overjoyed if it makes 100k because it feels like such a piece of shit that I can't imagine it will even hold together for 100k. Oh and BTW I have been a Dodge fan for years, having started with a 340 Duster back in the 70's but I think they have been making crap for the last 10 years or so.

Reply to
Charlie

Blah blah blahbitty blah blah. Who cares? Nobody here in rec.autos.makers.chrysler does.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern