Why is Chrysler still selling new 2006 Crossfires?

I still see dealers advertising NEW 2006 Crossfire coupes and roadsters! Does anyone know why? Mister B

Reply to
Mister Bear

What do you expect them to do with unsold inventory. Bury them?

Reply to
Art

They aren't NEW anymore but marketing them as UNSOLD or NEW FROM OLD STOCK may be just as good as burying them :o)

Perhaps they should have the dealers drive them around the block a few times and sell them as EXTREMELY LOW MILEAGE used cars :o)

Reply to
Jalapeno

if they have never been owned they are "new"

but marketing them as UNSOLD or NEW FROM OLD

Reply to
TNKev

It's tempting: small town Ohio here.....an indendent (but reputable) used car dealer has a used '06 Coupe.........3300 miles, balance of warranty.....very pretty car in medium metalic blue. Asking $19,000. Now, that's depreciation!

I guess the thing that stops me is the thought of what those Benz parts will cost in the future.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

I understand there are several dealers around the nation that have unsold Crossfires. I think that they are stuck with them, as Chrysler probably won't take them back for either cash or credit.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

It should stop you indeed. Nevermind if it is physically the same as any other type of Benz motor or other parts.. since it is for Crossfire, it will be *RIDICULOUSLY* expensive. I used to work on mercedes-benz junk and it pissed me off every time i tried to use something as simple as an inside door handle from a parts car in another car with a different chassis model and found it to be just slightly different enough so as to not be useful without looking extremely ghetto. Either that, or it just didn't work. Not like the old days of MoPar where everything had the same window crank, door handles, voltage regulator, alternator, etc.

Reply to
Nza

Circa 1960?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Because no one BOUGHT them.

Reply to
Steve

I'd worry less about the Benz parts (the drivetrain is shared with a lot of other Benz cars) as the Crossfire-specific body and interior parts....

Reply to
Steve

The amount of interchangability among Chrysler cars from about 1960-61 right through the 80s is amazing. There was an almost 20-year run there where the technology continued to advance and the cars got more advanced sub-systems, but interchangeability wasn't disrupted. Its great for us Mopar collectors now, because we can back-fit all sorts of things so easily. Disk brakes for a '66 Polara? Get a set of disk-brake steering knuckles off a '73 Newport at a junkyard, the combination valve off ANY post-71 Mopar, and buy the rest at NAPA (pads, rotors, calipers, etc are all still in-stock most of the time). The whole conversion costs under $200, compared to over a grand for an aftermarket custom brake system.

Even the 80s front-drive cars (sucky as they were) shared a lot of basic mechanical components during the K-car era.

Reply to
Steve

I expect Chrysler wrote them off last year, included in the 150,000 cars that were unsold and written off, giving Chrysler that huge loss. >:) So as far as Chrysler is concerned they are gone, gone forever!

Reply to
who

I would guess because they still have them on the lot!!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

On ThursdayI posted about a nice Crossfire couple at a local dealer (with 3000 miles for $19,000).....it's been sold and driving around town with plates on it now.

Today (Sunday) the same dealer now has a convert....but it's $23,000.

This is an independent dealer with about 40 cars on its small lot.......and said to go to Detrot mfg's auctions to get real executive cars. Looks like the word is out to get rid or the Crossfires.......and our little town of 20,000 may end-up as the Crossfire Capital of Ohio!!!!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Of course it's a toy, but it does seem to be a steal.

Reply to
who

I suppose I set myself up for wisecrack comebacks when I asked WHY new

2006 Crossfires are still at dealerships. I have never run into a similar situation before. The question is why haven't 2 year old new 2006 Crossfires sold? Bad car? Too expensive? Supply problem? When new cars remain unsold this long, there's has to be a story behind it.

In contrast, the new Saturn Sky has generally had a waiting list for availability. A new '08 Sky at full list price can be had way cheaper than most new 2006 Crossfires sold at deep 5-figure discounts. This is just plain strange. Mister B

Reply to
Mister Bear

They built too many for the demand. Its styling is extreme enough to have very limited appeal, and combined with a potentially tempermental and expensive to maintain Mercedes drivetrain, and it lacked enough performance to be attractive except for the turbo version (which was even MORE expensive). The Prowler had even more extreme styling, but was more attractive, had more base performance, and did it with a very simple and dead-nuts reliable Chrysler drivetrain borrowed from the LH cars. More importantly, they did a better job of predicting the Prowler demand and didn't build so many of them.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy
2006 overall was bad because of over production for DC. I still see brand new 06 300's and a few brand new Chargers being sold at dealerships. The 07 production is much less. Used 06's will take a huge depreciation because of this.

Reply to
Vaughn