Why isn't Daimler Chrysler aggressively pursuing hybrid vehicles?

Sure they will. I'll let others test it first. :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I don't have a lot of experience with memory on NiMH but I do with Nicads, and drawing a NiCad down by 20-30% is the best way there is to get a really bad memory in it. In fact the healthiest situation with a NiCad is occassional draws down to zero followed by an immediate full recharge.

If it is dropped to zero and LEFT at zero for any length of time, it will kill it almost immediately.

Absolutely! When an engine is designed to run at a set speed you can do all kinds of energy efficient things, such as tuning the intake and exhaust ports. But of course, you can't get neck-snapping accelleration out of such a setup, that's probably why they went with the design they are using.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

(The original post hasn't shown up from my server yet, but I see it in Ted's response - don't know if it's the whole post or snipped)

The NiMH memory effect is as Joseph says - not nearly as pronounced as NiCad's - I'd say by an order of magnitude - but not (as the marketing hype for NiMH claims) non-existent. What we're calling the "memory effect" in both types is due to different chemistry phenomenon, but nevertheless, the effects are similar.

The frustrating thing is that the chargers that most manufacturers make for the AA's that many digicam users use (and that may even come packaged with the camera) do not have (1) full charge detection with automatic turn off or switchover to trickle mode, and (2) a discharge mode that drains most of the charge below which users or automatic cutoff on most digicams pull the batteries down to in order to "re-condition" the batteries. Lack of both these features will drastically cut short the useable life of an NiMH battery (both per-charge capacity as well as useable life)

This memory effect in NiMH is subtle and comes on gradually - you simply notice that you just don't get as many photos out of a charge as you used to. The effect of (almost) completely discharging them about every tenth typical (i.e., very incomplete) normal use charge/discharge cycle does wonders to keep them going long after many people assume they have lost their capacity and throw them away. Very similar to how your computer gets sluggish and then magically becomes crisp again after a defrag and anti-spyware scan.

I have used NiMH's for about 8 years now, and have never had one go bad. The key is using a charger like the MAHA MH-C204F (about $25) that has a manually initiated discharge mode, and using that mode every once in a while on the batteries. A good charger like that also has a temperature sensor and closes the loop on the charge current to get max. charge rate without damaging the batteries - typical charge time is

1-1/2 to 3 hours).

I wonder if the chargers that are sold for or supplied with these cars is optimal, or if the consumer would have to "invest" a bunch more money to get a proper charger with discharge feature? That would be absolutely essential for good battery life if people are typically going to use only a portion of the capacity and top them off every night.

Bill Putney

NiMH work the opposite. This is why they are great for the Prius, though it's a lot of dead weight, IMO, for that longevity.

NiMH don't suffer from this, though it does hurt them, like any battery.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander