Windshield wiper only runs when using washer '96 T&C

The above problem has bothered me for almost a year..but not much rain in TX so it didn't bother me much. But with winter coming on, where do I start? Switch? Relay? Motor? And when I press the washer button, the speed of the wipers is determined by the speed setting of the wipers. In other words, when it's set on fast, even tho it doesn't work normally, it runs fast with the washers. And slow...slow. Very frustrating! TIA, John

Reply to
Fieronut

"Fieronut" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Somewhat common problem in the '96-98 year models. Also appears as a "phantom wiper" operation, where the blades wipe once or twice without any intervention (and for no reason).

I had a '97 dodge with the above problem. Most often the causes I heard about were: steering wheel clockspring ground to passenger side wiper motor ground wire somewhere that escapes me currently bad BCU

Once my wipers quit altogether (except sometimes with the washer like yours) I opted to trade it in. I am in southern California, so also not often much need for wipers, but we do get a bit of fog and mist and it got annoying.

Good luck!

Reply to
Steph

First step is get schematics for the wiper assembly (from a real FSM - not from an aftermarket manual - you can buy an FSM, get the dealer to photocopy the appropriate page(s) after you look at theirs and pick out the pertinent page (s), or get an on line alldata.com subscription for your vehicle - on-line availability if all schematics specific to your vehicle right out of the FSM come with the subscription). Second step is, from the schematics, logically determining what could fail that would cause the symtoms. Third step would be to narrow it down and pinpoint the cause with a multimeter and good troubleshooting skills.

Obviously the motor itself is OK, and the path that provides voltage to the motor from pressing the washer button is good, but the main path for normal wiper running has a problem.

Bill Putney

Sounds like a deal. I have the FSM and can check it. I just thot if it was a common problem, as it seems to be, someone might have a quick fix.

Thanx. John

Reply to
Fieronut

Yep - good deal. You're welcome.

Bill Putney

I have the same problem I think. I only got part of this thread.

The wipers on my 96 T&C are very picky about when they will work. The washer does make them activate. They work some times. I changed out the whole turn signal arm assembly and it seemed to work for a short time, but I think it was just a fluke.

Have you found out what this may be?

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove

I have the same problem I think. I only got part of this thread.

The wipers on my 96 T&C are very picky about when they will work. The washer does make them activate. They work some times. I changed out the whole turn signal arm assembly and it seemed to work for a short time, but I think it was just a fluke.

Have you found out what this may be?

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove

Reply to
philthy

Does anyone have this TSB?

26-07-99D JUL 99 Wipers/Washers - Wiper System Test Revisions

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove