Wireless keys blanks

I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors. I need to replace one of the keys and am getting all sorts of confusing info and prices.

Where can I find reasonable prices and reliable equipment. One vendor will sell me OEM keys but I have to take to someone to have them programmed. Others will sell me the keys for one price and the instructions for programming for another.

Reply to
NotMe

If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer. They will sell you the key and program it. The key must be programmed by the dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also do this for you. The only way you can program that key yourself would be if you already had I 2 keys programmed and this would make the 3rd.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I take it that you're describing the "Sentry Key" system:

Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified, programmed or altered during the process, or is it that all keys come pre-programmed with a unique code, and it's a matter of training the car's computer to recognize and respond to the replacement key's code?

And if a key is stolen, you have to take the car to the dealer to reprogram the computer so that it will no longer respond to the stolen key - which is something you can't do at home or can't be done by a locksmith?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Hey Glenn, what are these items (Alarm Interface & Transponder Bypass) used for?

Why would I put one in my car?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Am I understanding it correctly in that you just want a new key, because the key itself is damaged?

If so this is a poor man's fix I would try, if you have a god key... Have just an ordinary key copy made of a good key and try using it with the defective key held beside it. If this works then all you have to do is attach the hand end (saw the key off) of the defective key to the new key copy, or perhaps just hang it on the key ring.

Reply to
Pirate chaser

I believe it is a device that you can program that will allow you to open doors, start the engine, open hatches.......etc without having a key to do it with.Just punch in a number, I will view the website in the morning.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Both are the case. Also, once a key has been programmed to one vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another.

Anyone with a DRBIII and the vehicle's access code can do it.

Reply to
bllsht

| >> If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer. | >> They will sell you the key and program it. The key must be | >> programmed by the dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also | >> do this for you. The only way you can program that key yourself | >> would be if you already had I 2 keys programmed and this would | >> make the 3rd. | >

| >I take it that you're describing the "Sentry Key" system: | >

| >Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified, programmed or | >altered during the process, or is it that all keys come pre-programmed | >with a unique code, and it's a matter of training the car's computer to | >recognize and respond to the replacement key's code? | | Both are the case. Also, once a key has been programmed to one | vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another. | | >

| >And if a key is stolen, you have to take the car to the dealer to | >reprogram the computer so that it will no longer respond to the stolen | >key - which is something you can't do at home or can't be done by a | >locksmith? | | Anyone with a DRBIII and the vehicle's access code can do it.

Any 'how to' instructions to be had on the internet? |

Reply to
NotMe

Is so, then what component inside the key is modifiable?

Does the key contain some memory component containing data that can be changed?

And without any internal battery or power source, how can the data be altered?

Why can't two vehicles (that are sufficiently similar) be programmed to recognize the same key?

Reply to
MoPar Man

It cant be done due to the random coding that the skim module uses. This was just discussed a few months ago

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

If I have two Chrysler 300m's, each having 2 original keys from the factory, then you're telling me that:

a) I can't take one key from car A and go over to car B and program car B to recognize the key?

b) I can't buy a third key (from the internet, or from the dealer) and take it to each car, one at a time, and program it as each car's third key?

Reply to
MoPar Man

The key will only start one vehicle, you cant program one key to start to another vehicle.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

If that were the case, then there would have to be bi-directional communication between the key and the ignition module / ignition computer of the car, instead of one-way communication (from key to module).

And if there was two-way communication, a new key would have to initially "learn" a unique code from the module (car) it's intended to be used with, in which case it would have to have programmable memory to store the code, and it would have to come originally as a blank key ready to accept or lean the code. The key would have to have a receiver circuit and embedded microprocessor or microcontroller. And it would have to do all that without having an internal battery or external electrical contacts.

I don't see how the key can do anything except spit out a unique factory pre-programmed code when energized with an external RF pulse sent by the ignition module.

In that case, as long as the ignition module receives the code from the key, and it's one of a handful of codes the module is looking for, then you've accomplished everything you need to prevent the engine from being hot-wired and the car stolen. It shouldn't matter that the same key, spitting out the same code, can be used by another car as long as they key's code has been pre-programmed into the other car.

Reply to
MoPar Man

google " rolling codes or hopping codes"

Reply to
maxpower

That function or behavior only pertains (I would bet) to the key FOB to arm / disarm the alarm system. Rolling codes are implimented because the rf signal from the fob can theoretically be "sniffed" by a reciever close by and replicated.

Rolling codes would not have to be replicated by the key itself as an ignition immobilizer because of the very close range needed to "sniff" the code by way of RF-pulse.

And for a rolling code system, the key would presumably have to have a microprocessor or microcontroller with NV-ram and a battery. The fob has a battery and imbedded chip, but highly doubt that the key itself has a battery or a controller so as to impliment the rolling-code function.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I don't know. Try google.

Reply to
bllsht

The chip.

During the programming process, the vehicle learns the key's unique ID, and the key learns the vehicle's unique ID. Once this ID is embedded into the key, it cannot be changed.

It uses the same power supply it uses to transmit.

Because the key only learns one vehicle ID.

Reply to
bllsht

Can't be done

Can't be done

Reply to
bllsht

| >Any 'how to' instructions to be had on the internet? | >| | >

| | I don't know. Try google.

Did that early on -- No joy -- seems everthing has a price, which is fine but at least sell me valid information that I can use at a fair price.

FWIW I lost these somewhere in N Dallas.

On the very far off chance someone on this group runs across them.

Reply to
NotMe

If information is what you're after, you got it *free* here, yet you are still not satisfied. Yes, somewhere along the line you'll have to pay for something.

Facts:

  1. You need a new key.

  1. It must be cut.

  2. It must be programmed to your vehicle.

  1. If you have 2 working keys, you can program a new one yourself. You buy the key, have it cut & program it yourself using instructions in your owner's manual. Your missing key will still start your car.

  1. Buy the key and have it cut. Take your new key and all old keys to dealer or somebody with a DRBIII. They can delete all keys from memory and program the ones you have, along with the new one. Only the keys in your possession will start your car.

  2. Buy a blank key, a DRBIII, and the required key cutting tools. Have at it!

Reply to
bllsht