XtraVision bulbs for 300M?

I know there has been previous comment here on the unavailability of a straight version of the XtraVision 9005 (or is it 9006? -- the low-beam one) for use on the 300M, but I was surprised to see the 9005XV (9006XV?) listed in the Sylvania book as an upgrade for the 300M.

Does this mean that the rt. angle version will fit in place of the original straight one? Has anyone tried it?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

9006 = low beam. 9005 = high beam. (This is not always the case; a few cars use 9005 or a variant thereof in the low beam. Late GMC Yukon Denali, Plymouth Prowler...)

There's no 9005XV, so it would've been 9006XV, but are you sure? The straight-base 9006 is called "9006XS" by Sylvania. Is it possible that's what you saw?

If you can figure out a way to fit a right-angle base 9006 in the low beam of a 300M, there are much better choices than Xtravision. Give it a try, go buy a cheap regular 9006 bulb (or grab one out of a wrecking yard) and see if it'll fit. From the base ring forward, the straight and 90-degree versions are identical.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

On 01/07/05 02:55 pm Daniel J. Stern tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I don't have the book here (saw it in the store this morning while looking for a bulb for another car), but I thought it said 9006XV.

9006XS wouldn't count as an upgrade from the factory-fitted LL ones, would it? Whatever it was I saw was in the "Upgrade" column.

So what would be better than XtraVisions -assuming they will fit?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Nope...Sylvania shows the following:

Low beam headlamp

Standard replacement:

9006XS

Upgrade replacement:

9006XSST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID:

Upgrade replacement:

9006XSCB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool

Both of their "upgrade" suggestions are bullshit; blue bulbs do NOT increase performance.

See

Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

...the text, perhaps?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

There are three photos, each of which depicts two headlamps. In each photo, one headlamp is using one kind of bulb, and the other headlamp is using the other kind of bulb.

If you're unable to read and follow the text in the article, you should not be messing with your car's lighting or any other part of the car.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

I am, just not the normal kind. 8^{)}

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I checked the book again -- _Automotive Lamp Replacement Guide 1991-2003 Models_, (c) 2003 OSRAM SYLVANIA.

On p. 9 is a list of vehicles for which the 9006ST, 9006CB and 9006XV are suitable. Included in that list is Chrysler 300M '03-'00.

On p. 46, listing bulbs suitable for the '02 Chrysler 300M, in the column headed "Halogen Upgrade(s) Lo Beam / Hi Beam" it showed:

"9006ST-9006XV-9006CB / 9005XSCB"

For the regular Halogen bulbs it shows:

"9006LL / 9005XS"

IOW, although they are specifying straight bulbs for the hi-beam lamp, they are specifying rt.-angle ones for the lo-beam lamp.

OTOH, the interactive device in the store showed only the CB bulbs as options to the regular ones.

So the question remains: Will 9006XV (rt.-angle base) bulbs fit the 300M?

Perce

On 01/07/05 05:48 pm Daniel J. Stern tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

And the answer remains: Try it and find out.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No mention of XtraVisions for the 300M in the 2004 Sylvania book.

So I don't think I'll bother trying.

Perce

I wrote:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I just fitted a pair of HIR 9011's and 9012's to my Toyota RAV4 and PT Cruiser and they do put out much more light without any extra current draw than the OEM bulbs. It cured the inadequate lighting issue with the Toyota. Too bad they don't offer this technology in a dual filament bulb like that used in my mini-van. They do cost almost $30.00 per bulb!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard