Yet another 4-speed trans question

In my 94 TC, I've got the notorious transmission. A year and a half ago, a few months after I bought it, the trans failed and I got a rebuild (not at Aamco!). A few weeks ago, the output speed sensor failed. Thanks to this group, I was able to figure out what the problem probably was, and take it to my local garage.

Now, it's starting to go into limp mode. Occasionally, but the frequency is increasing. Only in the first 5-10 minutes after the engine is started (cold start or warm, not hot, restart). The local garage couldn't replicate the problem.

I haven't had the trans fluid and filter changed since the rebuild, but it hasn't been 2 years or 20K miles. I have driven it up into and in the mountains a lot though, on ski trips.

The rebuild had a 1 year warranty, but none of the trouble happened until after the year was up.

Would it be smart to first try changing the fluid and filter? The transmission shop wants $70 just to read the codes and take a look.

Thanks,

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

jdoe

But if changing the fluid and filter would save me the same bundle, and take care of a normal service need at the same time, might that be a better first step?

Lisa

jdoe wrote:

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Changing the fluid may help, but given that you don't have many miles since the rebuild, I would bet something else is wrong. It may not be a bad idea to get the scan anyway. If you do choose to just change the fluid, I would get the scan as soon as possible if you sense something is still wrong.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel

Thanks. I supposed I should get the scan first then.

I wish I'd found out about these transmissions before I bought the van. Not surprisingly, none of the car review sites mentioned it, at all. The sad thing is that other than the transmission, it's a wonderful vehicle, perfect for my needs and priorities.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton