1998 AX - Speed loss at high gear - Air conditioning is on

Hello everyone..
My wife drives a 1998 AX 1.1L. On the 5th gear, speed around 90km/h (55mph), the car seems to lose power. As the speed lowers, my wife
would change to the 2nd gear, and the car will have power back again.
Once in a while when I'm driving the car, hill climbing will require me to either drive with air-conditioning off, or put it into 1st gear!
I know the power loss have something to do with the air-conditioning, but can someone describe it even more clearly here. Apparently the problem have become from mere annoyance to troublesome.
I hope some good souls (you guys! ;-) can spell it out so that when I take it to the repair shop, I won't get conned in the daylight.
Regards
Maulvi
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Deunan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

55 seems a bit slow for fifth - and why straight to 2nd? What happens in 4th or 3rd?

<boggle> AX11, with aircon? And it *moves*...?

The compressor takes power to drive it. Quite a bit of power. An AX11 doesn't have a lot of power to spare - the power that IS there can either be used for forward motion or coolth. Your choice.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Hmm, do you really mean that she has to drop 3 gear ratios (5th to 2nd), if so the speed must really be dropping off - something like 35 to 40Km!...

Can't comment as this could be the incline percentage of the hill rather than anything more serious.

As Adrian has said, the air con is using a big pump to compress a gas into a liquid (to at as a refrigerant), this uses a LOT of power - which quite frankly any 1.1L engine doesn't have spare - try driving without using the air con, if the same problems still exist there is a more fundamental problem but I suspect that it's just a simple case of expecting to much from a small engine (Citroen should have know better...).
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
:Jerry: ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not just Citroen.
We rented a Toyota in Jamaica a few years ago.
It turned out to be a Corolla-wivva-boot, badged as a Tercel. 1600, automatic, aircon.
The thing was utterly gutless at the best of times - turning the aircon on was like lobbing an airbrake out.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
In gurgled happily, sounding much like

I drove a 1.0 Corsa with aircon once. Hit the AC button and lose 5-10 mph at the same throttle opening. Quality.
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi Mk2 2.0 8v