ABS on Xantia

I have had my Xantia for about 6 months now, and have not had occasion to try out the ABS, but it was chucking it down today and I decided to test it on an empty piece of road. Imaging my
surprise as I skidded down the road with the wheels locked up!
I was sure that ABS was a standard option on later models (mine is a 97/P 1.9TD Dimension) Does anyone know if that model should have ABS, or is there anyway I can tell (I know my "brake" test was a good indication! but just wondering if it is broken)
Thanks,
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Matthew Maddock ( snipped-for-privacy@plsnospam.mmaddock.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you have an ABS warning light?
It should come on for a couple of seconds when you start before going out.
If you have a problem that disables the ABS, it will remain on - and that's an MOT fail.
I suspect that you won't have it, however - I know my father's 96/N 1.8 Dimension doesn't.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
gurgled happily, sounding

that's
Im pretty sure its late 98 and onwards models of sx and aboce that had it and from then on in 2000 i think all of them had it. not certain on that though. Will
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

I think you're right - I was looking at several SX's before I got this one (basicially because it had aircon) I guess I saw the SX's has ABS and assumed it was standard.
Cheers,
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Matthew Maddock ( snipped-for-privacy@plsnospam.mmaddock.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A Dimension is an LX with a few toys.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Nope
Unless you remove the bulb ;-) not that anyone would ever do anything like that!

Looks like it doesn't have it then - I'll have to be more careful in the wet from now on!
Thanks
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Matthew Maddock ( snipped-for-privacy@plsnospam.mmaddock.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Erm, no. The correct operation of the light is part of the test for any car with ABS fitted - and the testers know what they're looking for...
They're a step ahead of most of the obvious bodgetricks...

Why?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

But that would require them to know the exact model and options which were fitted to that car. I haven't found many MOT places who are that efficient - I have put a *lot* of cars through MOT's (10 in the last year!) and I always hang around whilst they are doing it - I have never seen any of them be that thorough!
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Matthew Maddock ( snipped-for-privacy@plsnospam.mmaddock.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They can *see* the ABS control block and wheel sensors, so know it's fitted, and they have a big chart describing the "correct" operation of the ABS warning light for all the "usual suspect" models of car...
Or should do.

Ask 'em next time you're there. Of course, it may be in part because they know you so trust you a bit more than "Joe Punter" who may actually be an undercover from the standards agency... (They even use 80-y-o little old ladies...)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Standard personal risk assessment rules apply. If you think you have something that will help you if you get into trouble, you are more likely to act in a less safe way. It is well known that people who drive "safer" cars take more risks because they feel they are safer. I recall a review in a 'bike mag which had a number of the writers riding in their underwear see if they rode more safely!
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Dont know of any other LX's this year with it. Perhaps it was a one off extra for the original owner.
Rob
Add pictures here
‚úĖ