Berlingo fan heater

Page 1 of 2
ok, now winter is drawing nearer, the fan in my trusty Berlingo has decided its had enuff and wants to hang up its boots and retire to the countryside..
it starts when it wants to, but when it does it has a sorta "whirr whirr (repeat)..." noise coming from it..
my question is, are fans expensive? and are they a big job to replace? as I cant see any other way into it except by removing the dash :(
Keith

decided
countryside..
as
Don't know the cost of a new fan, but by the sound of it all it needs is a couple of pence worth of oil on the bearings - if you can get to them.

That would most like totally finish off the motor, most of these motor bearing are made from self lubricating materials, designed *not* to be oiled!

Agree that most are "sealed for life", but most also in my experience are metal bearings, often that compressed stuff, which are porous, and soaked in lubricant on assembly. This dries out in time, hence the application of a little more oil. Have done it many times. If the motor is stuffed anyway, what is there to lose? The only type which would not work with oil would be a nylon type bearing.

What is there to loose? The vehicle if the motor should catch fire?! There is a difference between 'oilable' bearings and bearings designed not to be oiled, a lot depends on the design of the motor not just the bearing.

Of course it might also detonate that thermo-nuclear device that is built into the fan motors on all these french cars, and take out the city too.
The motor if siezed, is more likely to catch fire in its current state.

When f*cked, troll....

Or, more likely, just blow a fuse...

Which is also what it would do as you so rightly say if the bearing was oiled and should not have been. Foot - bang - ouch.

No it would not, why would a fuse blow when the motor is running normally, the problem with oil is because the motor armature is flinging any excess oil about, they atomise fuel oil in boilers etc to make it burn more easily, whilst worn armature bushes are well known for arcing...

How much oil are we talking about, here?
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

That depends on how ham-fisted the person is, more than you or I would use Guy though...
contains these words:

Agreed, if you were to immerse the whole thing in oil then it could be a tad excessive, but since most of us are not that stupid....... I have probably had more experience in this than many over my lifetime, and found that a couple of drops of the correct grade of oil can work wonders. That way it never gets near any commutator, so will be no problem. Perhaps if I lubricated it with easystart, or similar, or brake fluid even. That's probably the most volatile fluid on a car these days.
contains these words:

Want a bet on that, with 30 odd years in the trade believe me, some people are stupid enough to put excusive mounts of freeing oils on things.

Don't forget that many of these heater motors are cited were dead leaves and combustible dust can collect, it's not so much the oil catching fire but smouldering oil setting fire to debris that has collected.

Well we are agreed that excessive lubrication might well be a bad thing, but please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some of us have more sense.
<snip>

Well there are certainly three of us who do, I don't think any of us know who else is reading this public group though....

Ain't Darwinism great!
--
Skipweasel

I'm amazed the kids haven't cottoned on to EasyStart. You can get utterly bombed on it.
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

If it does to brains what it can do to piston crowns....

Sintered bronze is what you're groping for!
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

Exactly.