Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise

I have a problem with engine noise on my 1.9d Multispace. Sounds kind of like the exhaust. It`s a sort of resonant vibration when under acceleration. You can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and seat! The car is two years old but I`ve only had it for two weeks so it`s going back to the dealer for inspection but I`d be interested to know if this is a common problem. It sounds as if the whole exhaust is vibrating up through the body.

8^(

‚úĖ

90% sure the heatshield needs ajusting 5 min job

Gorbag wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

100% sure your email address needs adjusting to one that doesn't belong to someone else.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

OK its done

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Is this something you can do yourself? I have a similar problem with my C3 Desire 1.4i. Where is the heatshield?

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

There`s a heat shield about half along the exhaust on the Berlingo. Dunno about the C3. I noticed part of it was up against the under side of the car and I just bent it back a bit. That solved a nasty rattley noise I was getting when starting and accelerating from cold. But it isn`t the cause of the main problem.

I think the problem is simply the design. This is the first car I`ve had with the exhaust manifold to the rear of the engine right in front of the footwell. Also the entire exhaust system is very tightly fixed to the underside without much dampening. Couple that with the 1.9D engine and the van like build of the Berlingo and you have a noisy beast. Looking under the bonnet there is very little sound proofing. I think I`m just still to get used to it after my very quiet Xsara.

I still love the Berlingo though. Best car I`ve ever bought.....

‚úĖ

Turns out that the cause of the problem was the air filter box. A bad design with two screws on one side and a single clip on the other. This clip is insufficient to tightly keep the box closed. Result is that air gets in where it shouldn`t around the filter. Too much air then gets into the intakes resulting in noisy revs very similar sounding to a exhaust hole.

Dealer fitted two clips to the box and problem solved. Now nice and quiet.....

‚úĖ