Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise

Threaded View
I have a problem with engine noise on my 1.9d Multispace. Sounds kind of
like the exhaust. It`s a sort of resonant vibration when under acceleration.
You can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and seat! The car is
two years old but I`ve only had it for two weeks so it`s going back to the
dealer for inspection but I`d be interested to know if this is a common
problem. It sounds as if the whole exhaust is vibrating up through the body.

8^(

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
90% sure the heatshield needs ajusting 5 min job

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
nospam@ntlworld.com says...
100% sure your email address needs adjusting to one that doesn't
belong to someone else.

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
OK its done

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
Is this something you can do yourself? I have a similar problem with my C3
Desire 1.4i. Where is the heatshield?

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
There`s a heat shield about half along the exhaust on the Berlingo. Dunno
about the C3. I noticed part of it was up against the under side of the car
and I just bent it back a bit. That solved a nasty rattley noise I was
getting when starting and accelerating from cold. But it isn`t the cause of
the main problem.

I think the problem is simply the design. This is the first car I`ve had
with the exhaust manifold to the rear of the engine right in front of the
footwell. Also the entire exhaust system is very tightly fixed to the
underside without much dampening. Couple that with the 1.9D engine and the
van like build of the Berlingo and you have a noisy beast. Looking under the
bonnet there is very little sound proofing. I think I`m just still to get
used to it after my very quiet Xsara.

I still love the Berlingo though. Best car I`ve ever bought.....

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.9d noise
Turns out that the cause of the problem was the air filter box. A bad design
with two screws on one side and a single clip on the other. This clip is
insufficient to tightly keep the box closed. Result is that air gets in
where it shouldn`t around the filter. Too much air then gets into the
intakes resulting in noisy revs very similar sounding to a exhaust hole.

Dealer fitted two clips to the box and problem solved. Now nice and
quiet.....

Site Timeline