Bitron Failure?

Hi
I have a Xantia 1.9TD LX 1996 for my sins. Driving home yesterday I had a fault which did occur a few months ago but only reappeared yeterday. The symptom is the engine stop light comes on together with the orange
warning light at the top of the temperature gauge. Last time this happened the fans came on as well but this time the fault had vanished by the time I pulled up. Water level is fine, the engine is not over-heating, hydraulic level is fine. The last time this occured someone (could have been on usenet, could have been my local garage) suggested the thermostat, I have changed that and it all seems ok. The only thing other relevant thing I can think of is that yesterday I was using the aircon to demist the windows.
The fault didn't reoccur this morning of course.
TIA
--
Malc

In the absence of other symptoms I'd suggest a failing sensor or connector or wiring.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

one of the radiators for your car is for aircon. if for some reason thats overheating. it may put the temp warning light on.. and of course the stop light. without moving the temp guage of course as this measure the temp of the water in the engine.
Just a thought.
although i would suspect a sensor fault ... that would display this information incorrectly
Rob
Rob Beech wrote:

--
Malc

There are two "radiators" on the aircon models, the standard water one for the engine, and in front of that is the aircon condensor. The fans are in front of that. I doubt it is anything to do with the condensor, as normally any fault in the aircon system just shuts the aircon off. I did have a problem on my old 405 where the fans kept on coming on for no obvoius reason. This appeared to be a dodgy connector on the Bitron control module, which on that car was behind the nearside headlight. It is certainly worth checking all the connectors you can get at, pull them apart, spray with WD40 or similar, and put together again. There are also some big round multi connectors which were behind the LH headlamp which connected most of the engine compartment and fans etc. Again, clean them if you can.
my 99 Xantia Hdi does exactly the same - but more frequently by the sounds of it ...
I've always assumed its a dodgy sensor or connector as the water level is fine and the engine is clearly not overheating ... mine seems to do it independant of temp or any other user settings or vehicle conditions ...
it always goes out again so I'm not that worried - and if I wanted it fixed I'd probably have to go to a main dealer for the part, and that worries me more than the light!
if you do fix it with new sensor or whatever pls post the result - it might inspire me to do mine (which would stop the wife worrying ....)
good luck
Steve

Thanks everyone I'll have a fettle and post the result
--
Malc

Just mind the frog.
That'll teach to to buy a French car!
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.
contains these

--
Malc

Check the connecter on the engine temperature senders no corroded.
Hi,
The problem is most likely the cable coming from the engine. Because the engine is constantly moving, the wires will break at the place where they 'leave' the engine. There should be a cooling sensor on the waterhouse on the engine. I think it's a green connector, not sure, you can try it by switching ignition on, and pulling of the connector on the engine, fans should come on at maximum speed (can take a few seconds). Follow that wire (probably numbered) to the left of the car, it's connected to a large round connector. Best you can do is completely replacing this part of the wire (about 50 cm.). Solved this problem in 2 cars this way.. (Bitron relays in your car is located under the glovebox)
Hope this helps,
Regards, Alwik The Netherlands

Thanks. That's worth knowing. The Haynes Manual for the Xantia has an arrow on the circuit diagram saying air conditioning this way and no further info.
--
Malc

Site Timeline