C3 desire - Whistle and Knocking

Hi - hope someone can shed some light.

New C3 late July - and I was getting a whistle from my nearside front wheel. It's more noticeable at slow speeds, turning or just after the breaks were pressed.

That continued but progressed into a sort of hissing sound when going over bumps. Sort of like air escaping from something or other. (not the tyre).

Now I get a great knocking sound when driving over sizeable bumps - like speedbumps (10 mph), or the sunken grid in the road.

All emanating from the nearside front.

It's just had it's first 1500 mile service and no-one at the dealership mentioned anything.

Can anyone help?

I've recorded the squeaks and knocks on my phone - I can upload them if you want to listen but you need something that can play .amr files. Real Player can do it but you need the latest player.

Thanks in advance Peter

Reply to
PeterCB

PeterCB (no.mail@please) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

C3s seem to be getting a reputation for broken front coil springs.

Reply to
Adrian

If it turns out that this is what's wrong - would you know how long they'd need to have it in to fix it, assuming they had the parts?

I really need to have a car while it's off the road and I don't think they'll be forthcoming.

Reply to
PeterCB

PeterCB (no.mail@please) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ask the dealer.

I can't imagine it'd be more than an hour or three. And if they haven't got the bits in stock, they'll have 'em next day.

"And I'll need a free loan car while you have it in for the warranty work"

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your help. Cheers.

Reply to
PeterCB

Mine had a front broken front coil spring then for quite a while after it made strange sounds. At its first MOT it failed as a front wishbone had snapped, thankfully under warrenty. So i advise you get it cheacked asap

alan

Reply to
Alan

Thanks Alan, hopefully i've caught this early. I'll ask them to check both. It's going in Monday and I have a loan car organised but it won't get checked until Thursday. I'll post my findings here.

Thanks. Peter

Reply to
PeterCB

One failed on mine a week ago. The dealer replaced it with commendable speed (and a new spring) but now the car "creaks" when going over bumps at low speed, or when I put my weight on the front.

Comments, please?

-- This mind left deliberately blank.

Reply to
tersono

tersono ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Don't go over bumps at low speeds, and don't put your weight on it"...

Serious answer :- They've probably tightened everything up with the suspension at full extension, rather than with the weight on the wheels, so the bushes are under tension at rest, which will make them fail quicker. All they'll need to do is loosen the bolts and re-tighten them with the weight on the wheels.

Reply to
Adrian

Well we're not off to a good start. I took it in at half 8 and went out with a mechanic. He said he needs to find out what causing the knocking.

I then sat around for over an hour for the sales mgr to come in as he was the one who supposedly arranged a loan car for me.

The nice lady on the reception desk said she needed my insurance certificate and then to my amazement started to put the loan Saxo on my insurance. The insurance company said this would cost me £8. I thought this was scandalous but I didn't make any fuss as I was happy to have a car.

The car was brought to the front and it was a bit like the scene in 'The Mask' which starred Jim Carey, "bring round the loaner" - it was a bog standard Saxo.

I thought I'd accept it as I had no choice - but when I got in, the interior was disgustingly filthy. Dirt - Dust - Hair - Cigarette ash - I went round the block in it after stalling it a few times because of the dodgy clutch and took it back. I was very upset.

I walked back into reception and put the key in front of the lady who did my paperwork and told her I'd rather get the bus and I was very upset.

That was 3 hours ago and not one person has bothered to ring me to find out why.

The saga will no doubt continue....

Reply to
PeterCB

Guys think the one thing that shouts out to me is kick up a fus with the dealers.

We got a C8 in July, brand new, up until two weks ago it had been in the garrage 5 times with power drain probles. We went to work on the dealers, Dixons, and it suprising what a great arse kicking does for you.

Kick up a fuss.... get a good quality car, sit in the show room complaining until something is done. Our car cost over 20 grand, we deserve service and made sure we eventually got it....

I think as a nation we are too damned compliant...KICK UP A FUSS AND STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS

demanding a brand new replacement car seems to be the thing to get attention we found

Reply to
Sarah and Lloyd

So they've had it all Monday.

I rang on Tuesday and they said there is a problem with the suspension and they're waiting on parts.

They rang me on Wednesday and said they've replaced a strut and mounting and a drop link, (whatever they are) and it's still knocking over bumps.

I've managed to get my phone recording to mp3 There is a little background noise too (18sec)

It features the squeak which incidentally they're not interested in one iota and right at the end of the clip, you here the knock as I drive over a speed bump.

The squeak only comes out to play when it is dry for some reason - I think when it's humid, the moisture must sufficiently lubricate the area rubbing for it not to sound. Although mechanics have heard my recording, they insist that it's the brakes and there's nothing you can do about it.

When I bought the car, I looked at the features; Follow me home lights, Trip computer, Air conditioning, Cd player, Nowhere can I find the feature of squeaky brakes!

They did give me the option of taking it home, still with the knock and no doubt the squeak, until a courtesy car was available (19th Oct). And again, I'd have to pay for the insurance!

What's going on here?

Reply to
PeterCB

PeterCB (no.mail@please) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Simple. The dealer's crap. Find one that isn't. Good luck.

Reply to
Adrian

What's that feature ?

Theo

Reply to
Theo van Riet

You park up at night in your driveway, take your key out, then flash your lights - they stay on for a minute while you find your house key and go in.

Anyway - they dealer said my car might be ready on Monday and he still couldn't tell me what was going on as the person dealing had gone home.

That will make it 8 days they would have had it.

Not good.

Reply to
PeterCB

Monday has come and gone!

8 days later and they've replaced this and that and the problem has got worse!

They're keeping hold of it for another week and they're liasing with Citroen now in order to find out what is actually wrong. They've admitted they don't know.

The service manager doesn't know what to suggest!

Anybody in the industry? What would you suggest? I'd like a new car - mine only had 1500 miles on it before all this.

Wonderful.

Reply to
PeterCB

Update:

Okay, I got my car back on the 12th day of them having it. It was a wishbone after all that. I driven it back from the showroom - no petrol in it - dirty scuffs inside - sweet wrapper - little body dint on one of the rear doors - and the knocking had gone - until I got to my road where there are speed bumps. On some of them, a quieter sort of clicking sound this time - dear me. Surely a car can be designed to handle speed bumps!

Don't buy C3's anyone.

It's going back in next Friday because you can still see the sponge on the drivers seat.

The whistle - it's still there when driving at slow speeds but it's not as loud. Yet to make my mind up on that one.

Reply to
PeterCB

PeterCB (no.mail@please) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd say it's more of a "don't buy a car from that dealer".

If the dealer can't sort it, escalate it to CitUK. I *know* they are concerned about the dealer chain's rep.

Reply to
Adrian

Of course - you're right. I'm just a tad upset that's all - hopefully understandably so.

Cheers Peter

Reply to
PeterCB

i find it difficult to belive that someone who has spent hard earned cash will put up with such poor service.

If you dont take this further then your a mug. You also mae it worse for others as garages will take the piss even more out of people!

Reply to
Sarah and Lloyd