C4 Service Due

Hi

I have an 11 month old C4, with 700 genuine miles on the clock. On starting up, the 'service due' warning has suddenly decided to tell me I am

50 miles overdue for a service, with the SERVICE warning illuminated and the spanner icon showing. I know the handbook tells me how to reset the service indicator to 'zero' (i.e 20,000 to the service) but is it possible, either DIY or at dealer to reset it to show 13000 miles to the next service.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Envo

Reply to
Envo

Envo ("Envo" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

SEVEN HUNDRED MILES in nearly a year? Why in the name of god would you buy a new car to do that few miles?

Yes. Take it to a dealer, they'll service it, and reset the indicator.

Why would you want to reset the service indicator WITHOUT servicing it? I know you don't actually drive the car, preferring to look at it, but surely the warranty means _something_ to you? Else why would you pour so much money down the drain by buying a brand new car?

Reply to
Adrian

Oops - typo! Should have read 7000 (which should have been obvious from the reference to 13000 later in the post).

Question is - can they reset it to what it should be, or must it be reset to start counting again from zero?

Envo

Reply to
Envo

Envo ("Envo" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Since you didn't mention whether it was a petrol (20k interval) or diesel (12.5k interval), no, it wasn't.

There's usually a time element to the service interval, too. Eleven months on the road is very likely to be a year since the PDI, so for an "x,000 miles or 12 months" interval, it'd be right. CitUK's website only gives the mileage, but I'd be very surprised if there's not a time factor.

Reply to
Adrian

Hi, I had the same problem. Mine was about 2 months before its 2 year service and the service indicator suddenly went to zero. I continued to run the car up to the 2 year service interval. My local Citroen dealer told me that as long as the mileage was not more than 20,000 or 2 years then it was not a problem. (just annoying) I don't think they can set it to a specific mileage for you, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. It's not worth spending approx £200 on a service not required until 20,000 miles or 2 years, but when you DO take it in then check to be sure the indicator is working correctly. I had to go back the next day as mine was showing -50 miles (as though it was overdue again) and the spanner was displayed. The mechanic said "ah we have a little fix for that, give me 10 mins", about 20mins later I got the car back. :-)

Reply to
neil

Reply to
neil

As is mine - thanks for info Neil. Seems to be a common problem.

Envo

Reply to
Envo

So would I; oils etc decay over time even if not used at all, and filters clog and jets get gummed and corrosion builds up and rubber perishes. I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer's service log book that doesn't say 'x miles or y months' for the scheduled service intervals. But recent cars tend to have quite high mileage figures for each maximum time interval, and the time intervals tend to be years rather than months now. Like Elizabeth I's legendary bathing schedule - every year, whether I need it or not.

Reply to
Whiskers

There is a known problem with the service indicator, which causes just the problem you describe. It can be cured with a software update by a Citroen agent. See the forum on C4Owners.org.uk for details. I also have a 1.6 petrol C4 (no service indicator problem though - touch wood!)

Bryn

Reply to
Bryn

Sorry - mistyped that address! Should be

Bryn

Reply to
Bryn

"neil" wrote in news:tzFOj.93779$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net:

JUST GET THE THING SERVICED.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

Why? Service due at 20,000/2 years. Actual 7000/11 months. Why?

Envo

Reply to
Envo

Its a warranty issue - take it for a software upgrade - free. Bryn

Reply to
Bryn

"Envo" wrote in news:0R5Pj.12553 $ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com:

Because your waranty will be invalidated Because there may be something about to break Because there maybe something wrong with the service due circuit Because I might be the unlucky sod who buys your car second-hand only to discover that the big end goes after a couple of months because you didn't look after the car.

Reply to
Dave Ryman