C5 headlight bulb replacement

OK, is it me or is it ridiculously difficult to change the headlight bulbs in 2002 C5 HDi SX ?

The chap at Halfords recommended me take the car to Citroen and get them to replace. How expensive is that? Also what do I tell Plod whilst I'm waiting to get booked in and he has pulled me for driving with a defective headlight as my car is now an MOT failure due to defective headlight?

BTW, the chap at Halfords told me not to be too surprised if the whole headlight needed to be replaced (for one measley bulb? Are they made from some rare metal?)

Someone please put me out of my misery

Reply to
Schrodingers Cat

its not you - you need small hands to manage it. Very much doubt the whole thing will need replacing, don't believe anyone who tells you that without good evidence.

Reply to
green102607

( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It won't.

UNLESS.

I *think* the "starter" on xenon lights can only be replaced as part of the complete unit, but even on xenons the bulb is certainly replacable.

Reply to
Adrian

Unfortunately, don't have small hands and am now £26 lighter for the privelidge of having Citroen change a light bulb for me...but thanks for the responses anyway

Reply to
Schrodingers Cat

He is full of rubbish.

Firstly, do you have Xenon (2.2 HDI) or normal lights (2.0 HDI). I am guessing normal lights.

You can just about reach behind the lights and change the bulbs.

What you need to do is to remove the battery cover, and the suspension pump cover at the other side. Just use a big screwdriver to lever off the studs. They seperate into two pieces, but don't worry if you break them, only a few p each at Citroen.

The battery side bulb is quite easy, the other side is harder due to the suspension wiring, which unclips to help you gain access.

Try using the opposite hand to which you think would work, and put your back against the radiator, i.e. right hand for drivers side bulb, and left hand for passenger side (UK).

It is not impossible. I have large hands and although it wasn't as easy as say, a Picasso (did the bulbs the next day on the Pic), it isn't impossible.

Use the handbook to see how to remove the covers at the back of the lights.

I recommend Osram Silverstar 50% brighter bulbs too.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Mr Benny