C5 Jumping or I am MAD!

Hi folks,

today I saw something amazing.

First: I know that some citroen cars have hydraulic things (dont know the word) so that they can go up on start and down on zturning off (a bit like lowriders)

Today: I saw a "C 5" today which was parking there for hours, then I realized that the front off the car was going up a few centimeters, then pause a few secponds and down again. I walkes around the car, and every few seconds the front was going up and down again. I was screwed up and left the parking lot. After half an hour i wanted to show this crazy thing a friend of mine, but now it didnt move at all ?!?!?

So WhatTheFuck is going on with me or this car?

The only possible solutin I found for this was that the owner could turn the car up and down with the remote control. Is that possible with a C 5?

PLEASE help me ..

Chris

Reply to
Christian B

The thing you are referring to is the hydro-pneumatic suspension, usually referred to as HP. So the car does not have steel springs and shock absorbers but bowls with a chamber filled with nitrogen inside. The car has a hydraulic fluid pump which keeps the body on a constant level, while the suspension work ist made by the nitrogen. This HP system has been used in every top model made by Citroen since the 50's, you can also find it in the smaller cars GS, BX and Xantia. With these cars indeed you can adjust the ground clearance. When the engine is off, these cars tend to sink to the floor, so they look like lowriders. Later Citroen cars with HP suspension have valves in the hydraulic system, which prevent the car from sinking when the engine is switched off.

HP is regarded as biggest technological breakthrough of Citroen ever, this is it what makes Citroen special.

When the engine is running, I sometimes notice the hydraulic pump adjust the car body level. This should not work with engine off. So I do not exactly know wht you saw on that C5

Frank

Christian B hat in Betrag news:bka4kp$gtp$07$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com dies gedichtet:

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Don't C5's pump up when you press the remote locking button ?? This would be quite possible as the pump is electrically driven rather engine driven on the C5.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

Nick Read ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yup, exactly.

So - that'll be a C5 with an electrical problem, then. What a surprise.

Reply to
Adrian

I wonder how long a fault like this would take to run the battery flat? Must take a fair bit of energy to pump the suspension up each time...

Reply to
Nick Read

Message i.d.: news:bkbumg$req4h$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-148918.news.uni-berlin.de, by author Nick Read aka inspired me,

I suspect it is mechanical. There is a sphere specially for leveling the car after engine shut-down. That sphere stays on pressure and if required it will fill the other spheres to keep the car on level. That process is (afaik) mechanical. But I could be wrong.

Reply to
2Rowdy

That would mean, if I park my C5 and leave it there for weeks or months, the battery would be completely empty because the car is adjusting his high on and on ... ?!?! Cant be true !?

Chris

Reply to
Christian B

Message i.d.: news:bkcrth$uo3$06$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com, by author Christian B aka inspired me,

Mechanical is not electrical. If the additional sphere is out of pressure the car will slowly go down.

Reply to
2Rowdy

The C5 has an electric suspension pump. The car will adjust itself when the engine has been turned off, but only for a few minutes.

When you unlock the door after leaving the car overnight (especially when facing uphill) the car will readjust the height.

C5 suspension does move itself up when the steering is turned hard to one side. I have tried to copy this before but have failed. It might work when parked on uneven ground.

You cannot change the height by remote control.

All electrical systems except starting and locking will disable themselves after being on for 1/2 hour or if battery is low. This ensures that the car will start. The C5 will turn its headlamps off if you leave them on. If you leave the radio on it will turn off. If you leave a door open, the courtesy lights will stop working.

When the electrical systems go into shutdown, the message "Eco Mode" is displayed on the interior screen.

Hope this helps

Ben (proud C5 owner)

Reply to
Ben Cowell

hi my friend had the same problem - it took one night of going up & down and the battery was dead :( citroen service changed a computer and it helped.

Reply to
ijon tichy

"ijon tichy" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dialog.net.pl...

Christ! What a nickname! Nice to know that the most famous astronaut that ever existed rides on a Citroën :-)

Reply to
Gasket

the best for veeery looong trips :)))

Reply to
ijon tichy

Hello,

This is actually a known bug in the system software of the car. It seems that when the steering wheel of the car isn't centered when locking the car, the car tries to balance itself every few minutes. It sometimes also happens when parking on a sidewalk or a bumpy road. The solution for this is to center the steering wheel when locking the car, or just wait for the ECO-mode to pop in after 30min. :D

Grtz Roy

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to