C5 oil guage

Hi, I recently had a drive in a C5, 51 reg, the oil guage showed a big fat ZERO while i was driving. When i questioned the guy about it, he said it was
a level guage, which showed the oil level before the motor was running, but the zero was ok & normal. Is this correct ? It seems like technology has overtaken me. Cheers, Ray
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

was
but
Sounds exactly the same as my 91 XM V6s! The gauge reads the level while the ignition is on but it becomes irrelevant when the oil is being sloshed around the important parts. After that you just need to worry about the pressure light.
My BX 19 GTi had a better system - shows the level on startup then flips into oil temperature mode after a few seconds. Wonder why they didn't stick with this?
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

was
but
Sounds exactly the same as my 91 XM V6s! The gauge reads the level while the ignition is on but it becomes irrelevant when the oil is being sloshed around the important parts. After that you just need to worry about the pressure light.
My BX 19 GTi had a better system - shows the level on startup then flips into oil temperature mode after a few seconds. Wonder why they didn't stick with this?
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

I had a 52 reg C5 Exclusive for 12 months, until March this year. The oil level showed on the mileometer when you switched the ignition on. When you turned the engine on, it went back to showing miles. The meter on the dashboard is oil temperature. That should not show zero unless its faulty.
‚úĖ

My C5 oil temperature guage sits on the very bottom of the white line when driving around town. On a hard motorway journey, it lifts about 8mm, but never as far as halfway up the guage.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
djindivik ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As fitted to CXs, XMs, BXs etc. It's a grand ol' Citroen tradition going back to the 70s!
If it is an oil temp, as suggested elsewhere, then it's still not abnormal, depending on the use the car's getting. The oil temp in this weather really isn't going to be zipping up very far.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Cheers Guys, at least the guy was'nt giving me BS. Thanx again. Ray