C6 on BBC TV "Top Gear"

Page 1 of 3
.-----<http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/ | [...] | Odds-on favourite | For years, the BBC used an old Citroen CX to film all its horse racing
| coverage. To find out if the new C6 is as soft riding, Jeremy took it to a | race meeting and strapped a camera to the roof. Let's hope the punters | aren't put out by this French thoroughbred. | | Style counsel | The Citroen C6, Porsche's 911 Turbo, Aston's V8 and the new Peugeot 207 | all make an appearance on the Cool Wall this week. All French superminis | are cool, says Jeremy, but will the new Pug make the grade? | [...] '-----
Although the C6 failed to meet all of Jeremy Clarkson's expectations of 'French madness', he was suitably impressed by the smoothness and road-holding. It performed well as a substitute for the ageing CX used to carry the TV camera (on it's roof) alongside the horses - for comparison a BMW 5-Series shook the camera about so much that it was useless.
The car also found it's way into the 'very cool' band on the 'cool wall'. (The Peugeot didn't).
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

I'm clicking like mad but I can't find the link. Where is the 'very cool' band located. I want to see the C6 on it.
I've seen the C6 a week ago. Life and real. I touched it, then saw the price tag, e76,000. I'll dream on.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

It's in the Studio! You need to watch the prog to appreciate it...
--
Rod

sorry :((
There is <http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/coolwall.shtml but that seems to be slightly out of date at present - the C6 is not shown there yet. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/thisweek.shtml is an up-to-date summary of the latest show, including a brief bit on the C6.
You can even get the whole show piped to you if you can get the multimedia streaming thing working for you (I can't).
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Pitty
Extremely brief.

It rarely works out here.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
( change dot com to .com to reply )

Here it is in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuPGkikm2I&search
%20top%20gear
--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | "World domination, now"
I was reading < wrote:

Great ! It worked.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me

http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
2Rowdy wrote:

one day, I'll have a C6.
I was reading < and I became inspired,>>> I've seen the C6 a week ago. Life and real. I touched it, then

It'll take some time before a second hand becomes affordable for me. I've got time.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

snip
Price and availability will probably be the prime consideration. I'm 'on benefits' so if I don't choose my timing well, I may end up with something not even a Citroen - if I manage to continue car ownership at all.
The attractions of the C1 are that it's not expensive even brand new, and that it's small enough for convenient urban use and offers excellent fuel economy. I might even manage a newish 5-door, which would be more popular with my occasional passengers than the current 3-door ZX. But I could end up with a Xantia or Berlingo ... or indeed a C3.
My annual mileage is very low, so fuel economy isn't an over-riding factor; maintenance costs and insurance are. Long-term, investing in a new(ish) C1 5-door diesel could work out well for me though, as a low-mileage one-or-two-owner economical small car should be a good starting point next time I want to trade. Of course, I haven't yet ridden in a C1, so if it's horrible it will get moved well down my list. Down around the Mercedes A-Class (yuck! Actually /painful/ in the back!).
If only the 2CV were still made.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

They killed the Credo. Viva el Credo!

I'm sad to say I wouldn't buy one for serious use now; they are all too old and precious to be thrashed along motorways, squeezed through gridlock, and parked on the street 24/7/365. I wouldn't be so worried if they were still easily replaced. If I had spare cash I might have one as a 'plaything' to be cossetted (along with the Morris Minor I can't afford to run either).
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

I can't let you get away with that ! I use one on a regular basis whenever I do not need to use the big car (for towing my digger around). It keeps up with traffic and even does a fair bit of overtaking when it gets the bit between the teeth. Mine has a galvanized chassis, so is a bit like Tesco's bag for life...
All the car's components, with very few exceptions can still be sourced new, and major components such as engine and gearbox can be got exchange-reconditioned. Michelin still make old pattern X tyres for them, and Firestone also make tyres of the correct size and characteristics.

But there are still loads of them around. Just buy an MOT test failure and build it into a new galvanized chassis. Car for life - 50 to the gallon - bombproof roadholding - insurance less than 100 - half price tax - 70,000 miles out of the tyres.
No water to worry about, nor distributor, heater motor and other bothersome stuff. One of the best cars ever made. Last year there were 3000 of them together in the same field in Scotland !
--
All the best,
Stubbsy

I gather that they still "Race" them at certain rallies, BICBW...
--
Rod

Rodney Wakefield ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

www.2cvracing.co.uk

Wot! No tripods?
--
Rod

Gerald L R Stubbs ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not any more.
Mabor 135s seem to be the current budget tyre of choice, but nothing beats Michs.

Right. I thought they were still made as ECAS were advertising them in an old catalogue I had.
--
All the best,
Stubbsy

snip
<picks self up from floor, rubbing bruises>
Ouch!
OK, OK, I'll put 're-built 2CV' back up near the top of the list, OK?
There are very few 2CVs on the road around my patch of north London.
I know what the car's merits are, I used one for years and still remember it fondly - even the need to get it push-started in the winter when the ignition got too damp over-night for even the starting-handle to work. (I'm sure there was a way to get that fixed too, but the local Citroen garages weren't really interested in 'old bangers' - they wanted to sell me a new car).
Many's the time I've overtaken Jags and Mercs struggling up the steep passes of the Lake District, with my fully laden 2CV growling eagerly for the next bend.
Here's a true story:-
I'd had the 2CV serviced by the local Citroen garage, preparatory to a long drive from Salford to Cornwall via central London. All went well until I was belting along the M1 on the outskirts of London, when there was a rattle-rattle-BANG from under the bonnet; but the car carried on going at full throttle 60mph+ so I thought I'd thrown up a stone or something.
Then I hit the queue to get off the motorway. Damned car stalled when I changed down, but picked up again when I let the clutch in. But each time I lifted off the throttle, the engine died; it would only run at full throttle. Now, this is not good in heavy traffic, and not good on a Sunday afternoon in a big city one is not familiar with. Particularly when one still has another 200 miles to go and people depending ... this was in the days before 'mobile phones' too.
Happily, I spotted the friendly chevrons down a dingy side-street, and roared my way towards it in 1st gear at rather too much of a lick for the road, slipping the clutch to keep control as I jerked to a stuttering halt outside the mercifully open double-doors of an archetypal back-street bodger's garage.
A greasy-overalled gentleman wandered out, muttering and scowling; I picked up a few words, such as 'merde' and 'shit' and 'vache', and many others that were not part of my GCE O-level French, and in a very strange accent. "I say, this car seems to have something wrong with the engine ..." "mutter ... groan ... gesticulate ... execrable Anglais ... dimanche". He opened the bonnet, leaving a huge smear of dark grease on the paintwork, and poked around, and pulled out a loose Bowden cable with a lump of metal on the end. "Who work on carbretta, eh? EEEdioTTa! <spit> ... See? screws here, here, four, gone; not good! Carbretta, choke, merde! <spit> ... "
He vanished into the gloom of his work-shop, and emerged a few minutes later with a wire coat-hanger and a box of bits and some tools including a large hammer, and proceded to curse in some alien tongue while buried head-first in the depths of the sick engine. After about ten minutes, he emerged, wiped the spit off his chin then onto the headlamp rim, and said "OK, go now, feexed". I tried the starter, and she purred into life; the throttle worked smoothly, all seemd well again. I took out my wallet, he grabbed a bank-note seemingly at random, cursed some more, and closed the doors behind him as he retired once more to his lurking place.
The rest of the journey was relatively un-eventful. The engine continued to run perfectly happily for several years ofter that, with the bit of coat-hanger and a hand-made tin substitute for whatever vital part the Citroen garage had failed to bolt down securely. I never used that Citroen dealer again, and no-one who serviced the car ever commented on the non-standard parts - and never replaced them, either.
I could never find the establishment of the grimey saviour again.
--
-- Whiskers