C6 on BBC TV "Top Gear"

.----- | [...] | Odds-on favourite | For years, the BBC used an old Citroen CX to film all its horse racing | coverage. To find out if the new C6 is as soft riding, Jeremy took it to a | race meeting and strapped a camera to the roof. Let's hope the punters | aren't put out by this French thoroughbred. | | Style counsel | The Citroen C6, Porsche's 911 Turbo, Aston's V8 and the new Peugeot 207 | all make an appearance on the Cool Wall this week. All French superminis | are cool, says Jeremy, but will the new Pug make the grade? | [...] '-----

Although the C6 failed to meet all of Jeremy Clarkson's expectations of 'French madness', he was suitably impressed by the smoothness and road-holding. It performed well as a substitute for the ageing CX used to carry the TV camera (on it's roof) alongside the horses - for comparison a BMW 5-Series shook the camera about so much that it was useless.

The car also found it's way into the 'very cool' band on the 'cool wall'. (The Peugeot didn't).

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

[C6]

I'm clicking like mad but I can't find the link. Where is the 'very cool' band located. I want to see the C6 on it.

I've seen the C6 a week ago. Life and real. I touched it, then saw the price tag, e76,000. I'll dream on.

Reply to
2Rowdy

The message from "2Rowdy" contains these words:

It's in the Studio! You need to watch the prog to appreciate it...

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

one day, I'll have a C6.

Reply to
.

sorry :((

There is but that seems to be slightly out of date at present - the C6 is not shown there yet. is an up-to-date summary of the latest show, including a brief bit on the C6.

You can even get the whole show piped to you if you can get the multimedia streaming thing working for you (I can't).

Reply to
Whiskers

I got to the BBC2 site but could not view the program as it is only for the UK

Reply to
Gene S. Park

Whiskers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ID-107770.user.individual.net:

It's a shame that JC's explanations of the CX controls were so poor: Particularly the brake pedal. No wonder people felt intimidated by the technology in the 70s and 80s if they thought the brake pedal was a simple on/off switch!

I have had two CXs in my time, and would love to own one now (the prices for which actually seem to be climbing!) but I can't commit to something which may cost so much to maintain: a quarter of a century of wear-and- tear is bound to have taken it's toll. These cars need someone willing to (and able to) tend them with TLC... Not to mention a local good Citroen mechanic!

... so it was heart-warming to see the design features in the C6 which harked back to the CX. Back in 1990, I bought a GOOD 1987 CX22TRS for something like 25% of (that's OF not OFF!) the new list price. I would like to think that in 2009 I'll be able to repeat the same trick. However, it might be a bit like dating the daughter of an ex-girlfriend from school!

Reply to
Dave Ryman

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

It'll take some time before a second hand becomes affordable for me. I've got time.

Reply to
2Rowdy

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Pitty

Extremely brief.

It rarely works out here.

Reply to
2Rowdy

"2Rowdy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aacity.net:

76,000 Euros? I went to the Citroen website, and used the configurator. Totally maxed-out, the car costs about £40,000 - which works out at 58,000 Euros - is it actually cheaper in the UK? That'll be a first!
Reply to
Dave Ryman

Dave Ryman (dave snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is a chunk cheaper than an equivalent A6, 5-series, E-class to similar spec.

Reply to
Adrian

snip

My own first experience of Citroen power-assisted brakes was not dissimmilar from his; I was used to un-assisted brakes with long pedal travel and the need for real effort, so the 'don't even think about /pressing/ me' set-up came as something of a surprise.

Running costs are what puts me off an 'affordable' hydraulic Citroen. I've seen too many of them being scraped off the road with crow-bars just to get the cradle under them for lifting onto the back of a lorry - one was brought in to the garage where I was buying my 'used' ZX, and the mechanic and the garage owner were both moaning about the spate of 'grounded' BXs whose owners had tried to stretch the service interval just too far.

We can dream ...

Reply to
Whiskers

snip

Price and availability will probably be the prime consideration. I'm 'on benefits' so if I don't choose my timing well, I may end up with something not even a Citroen - if I manage to continue car ownership at all.

The attractions of the C1 are that it's not expensive even brand new, and that it's small enough for convenient urban use and offers excellent fuel economy. I might even manage a newish 5-door, which would be more popular with my occasional passengers than the current 3-door ZX. But I could end up with a Xantia or Berlingo ... or indeed a C3.

My annual mileage is very low, so fuel economy isn't an over-riding factor; maintenance costs and insurance are. Long-term, investing in a new(ish) C1 5-door diesel could work out well for me though, as a low-mileage one-or-two-owner economical small car should be a good starting point next time I want to trade. Of course, I haven't yet ridden in a C1, so if it's horrible it will get moved well down my list. Down around the Mercedes A-Class (yuck! Actually /painful/ in the back!).

If only the 2CV were still made.

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Adrian! Sale!

Reply to
2Rowdy

I'm sad to say I wouldn't buy one for serious use now; they are all too old and precious to be thrashed along motorways, squeezed through gridlock, and parked on the street 24/7/365. I wouldn't be so worried if they were still easily replaced. If I had spare cash I might have one as a 'plaything' to be cossetted (along with the Morris Minor I can't afford to run either).

Reply to
Whiskers

Try this link for the C6 and click on C6 Website tab.

Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Park

There are several 2CVs on Ebay.

Try this link:

> I was reading ,

Reply to
Gene S. Park

The message from Whiskers contains these words:

I can't let you get away with that ! I use one on a regular basis whenever I do not need to use the big car (for towing my digger around). It keeps up with traffic and even does a fair bit of overtaking when it gets the bit between the teeth. Mine has a galvanized chassis, so is a bit like Tesco's bag for life...

All the car's components, with very few exceptions can still be sourced new, and major components such as engine and gearbox can be got exchange-reconditioned. Michelin still make old pattern X tyres for them, and Firestone also make tyres of the correct size and characteristics.

But there are still loads of them around. Just buy an MOT test failure and build it into a new galvanized chassis. Car for life - 50 to the gallon

- bombproof roadholding - insurance less than £100 - half price tax -

70,000 miles out of the tyres.

No water to worry about, nor distributor, heater motor and other bothersome stuff. One of the best cars ever made. Last year there were

3000 of them together in the same field in Scotland !
Reply to
Gerald L R Stubbs

The message from Gerald L R Stubbs contains these words:

I gather that they still "Race" them at certain rallies, BICBW...

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

Whiskers ( snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Like a C1...?