Citroen AX - evidence of wheel arch wear

I've recently picked up a cheap Citroen AX as a stopgap whilst the family's main car is in for a major overhaul. I love the AX especially the 1.5D fuel consumption (65mpg). Having looked underneath I've found
evidence that the drivers side rear wheel has been rubbing the side of the wheel arch, the paint is worn away and the inside edge of the tyre shows a little wear (you can still read all the embossed print, if just looks like it's been rubbed).
The handbrake also barely works on this wheel, and the car sits a little lower on the rear drivers side wheel than the passenger side. The drivers-side wheel is covered by the wheel arch by about and inch but the passenger side wheel is not obscured by the arch. Whilst stationary there is no noticable difference in the clearance between the wheel and the bodywork on either side, but obviously I can't check this whilst I'm moving.
Is this a common problem, and more to the point is it likely to be expensive to fix?
Regards, Jason.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mines doing it as well i hope its the rear arm bearings not the axle because thats the expensive bit :( don`t know prices as I bought the bearings a while ago .
Add pictures here
‚úĖ