Citroen Xantia Hard Rear

My 2000 Citroen Xantia Forte HDI rear suspension has gradually got harder and is now starting to become uncomfortable. Additionally I'll be towing a caravan in a few weeks.

Am I right in thinking the rear spheres need changing; I did the front ones

18 months ago and found that job easy enough; any tips for the rears (or alternative diagnosis) ?
Reply to
Brian Kelly

crack them open with the car still presurized. (crack as is 1/8 of a turn, just enough to break the rust).

then lower the car, depresurize and finish the job.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

on axle stands as well :p or a ramp

Reply to
Tim-mz500r

erm... yes...

(I have a pit :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Job done yesterday, all went well it's like a new car !!

Just a couple of mishaps, hit myself in the teeth with the ratchet extension and forgot I'd jacked up the car on the highest suspension setting and when I lowered it I managed to trap the jack under the car. Luckily I'd done the sphere job right and the car lifted itself off the jack.

Couple of hours for the spheres (could easily have been done in an hour) plus another hour or 2 for a service, grand total of £77 in parts and fluids (many thanks GSF).

How much fluid should there be in the hydraulic reservoir, my level indicator seems to be stuck at the top ?

Reply to
Brian Kelly

Perhaps you now have too much fluid in. If I remember right with the car on high lift the orange float should be between the two marks. I suppose the old spheres could have taking in fluid as you topped up and now the new ones don't. Only an idea mind nothing scientific.

Reply to
neil