Citroen XM 2.1 Diesel Problem

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have had the head gasket renewed and had the engine all checked out on my Citroen XM.

It ran well at first but would not restart when it was hot. If I left it to cool, it would then start ok.

I was advised by a mechanic to alter the timing on the fuel pump. I did this and the engine started even when hot..

I went for test drive and all seemed o.k. The next day it would not go, and hasn't gone since - when its hot or cold!

I have checked everything:- It's getting fuel, the heater plugs are working, I've tried moving the fuel pump back, even tried using quick start, but it still wont go.

If anybody has any suggestions, It would be most appreciated.

Regards

John

Reply to
John B

Any ideas please?

Reply to
-B-A-R-T-O-

This sounds somewhat suspiciously like those two damned connectors under the LHM tank...

Remove LHM tank, and get handy with the multimeter!

It is a pain to do, so if you are handy with a soldering iron, probe the wires to see what connects to where and solder in proper connectors replacing the multiplugs.

Someone will surely be along soon to suggest a good quality connector to use....

CAS

Reply to
CAS

LHM Tank? What's and where is that?

What exactly is the problem with these plugs for them to cause these problems?

Is this something you have encountered?

Thanks

Reply to
-B-A-R-T-O-

Hmmmmm "the plugs from hell".

These plugs are found in a metal bracket underneath the LHM tank (big black plastic thing with pipes coming from the top and the little glass dome where you check the Hydraulic Fluid [LHM] level).

They just the most aggravating things in the world - the entire engine management wiring harness runs through them as well as lots of other important things.

People have suggested in the past that it is spilled or leaked LHM that gums them up but this is not actually the case. The plugs are of such bad quality that the contacts of the female side get pushed back inside the plug casing and so they don't make contact anymore or worse still do this intermittently!

To get to them you have to unclip the LHM tank (there is a kind of spring clip mechanism at the front near the air cleaner) and gently manoeuvre it out of the way and you will just be able to see the plugs underneath.

This is not just something I've encountered - every XM owner knows about these two examples of French engineering and has questioned the parentage of the designer or accountant who sanctioned their use on what is generally a good car....

My advice to you (if you haven't done so already) is to make your way over to the XM mailing list

and havea look through the archive - you will find many tales of woe resolved byreplacing these "less than satisfactory" items! HTH

CAS

Reply to
CAS