Collapsed front-end: 2002 C3 1.4 HDi

Have just spoken to my wife who has found that the complete front end of our 27,000 mile 2002 C3 1.4HDi has dropped to an alarming level. A neighbour believes that either the shock absorbers have collapsed or the front suspension has. She found a plastic 'doughnut' shaped piece of rubber on the driveway. The recovery people are returning her and the car home.

Feel a bit useless as I'm away until Tuesday, but has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Have checked the groups and there are problems reported with C3 rear suspension, but nothing for the front.

As an idea as to how low the front of the car is, the recovery team have had to call for a low loader as they can't move it into the 'specs' hydraulic ram on the back of their truck.

As the car has a 3 year warranty, would I be naive to expect the repairs to be conducted under that or is this going to be a very expensive New Year present?

Look forward to your thoughts

PaulD

Reply to
PaulD

PaulD ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I don't know the front end of the C3 at all, but some kind of a spring mount, possibly?

It'd sit at the same level as normal even with no "shock absorbers" fitted. I presume you mean the dampers, as the shocks are actually absorbed by the springs not the dampers - possibly the most misnamed part on a car...

Unless it's due to accident damage of some kind, I'd be bloody furious if it weren't...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian. That was a quick response! Most worrying thing is that she had only just returned from a 150 mile motorway drive with her parents. The recovery people din't instil confidence as they were going to hook the rear wheels into the specs and tow it along with the front wheels .... until she pointed out that was where the problem was. As yes - I am absolutely bloody furious - particularly as this is our sole car and is needed for work. It isn't accident damage, and I'd imagine a loan car whilst it's in for a repair would be a non starter. Thanks for your comments Adrian - I'll just have to wait until Tuesday for the local dealer to open and find out the damage.

Reply to
PaulD

PaulD ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If they gave me a loaner that didn't start, I'd not be happy...

Seriously - I'd be kicking arse if there wasn't a loaner.

Reply to
Adrian

Reminder to myself - Always proof read what you're writing!!! ;-))

Reply to
PaulD

An update. Took the C3 on a low loader to my local Citroen garage. Front end was approx 2" lower than normal and the steering only worked with a v grim grinding noise. Whilst it was being winched off, the recovery guy found a bit of broken spring. The service department were very helpful, but said that they 'had to inform Citroen UK of all suspension failures'. This sounds as though it might be more common that it really should be. Has anyone else heard of problems with the springs on a diesel C3. Some of the parts they need are in stock, but looks as though the dampers will need replacing and the steering rack is possibly damaged. Not v impressed at all, although I have absolutely no complaints with the dealer. Wife, understandably, has lost confidence in the car.

Adrian - a good diagnosis!

Still waiting for a loan car though. I'm working on the assumption that Citroen UK should supply a hire car. The dealer have none available for 2 weeks!

PaulD

Reply to
PaulD

I have a2002 Citroen C3 1.4 Sx with approx 25,000 miles on the clock. Mine also developed a similar fault with the n/s suspension spring suddenly snapping causing the front end to drop, thankfully it went whilst parked overnight.

My garage gave me a courtesy car at short notice and fully repaired the car consisting of both suspension springs and driveshaft which also damaged (because I'd driven a short distance) they also washed and waxed the exterior of the car (very kind of them). I was able to pick it up the following day.

All the work was done under warranty so I didn't have to pay thankfully as I was told the bill would have been in excess of £550.

The mechanics told me it snapped due to fatigue but also added that they have had a few C3's do the same and it was probably a manufacturing fault

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Alan,

Sorry for the delay in replying! Well, it sounds the same problem. Our C3 has been at the garage since 5th Jan awaiting spares and the dealer has been excellent, with a hire car being provided almost immediately. Spoke to them today and they have all the parts needed except for the big bit - assume this is either the strut or whatever it landed on! It certainly seems from the comments by the service guys at the dealer that this is more common than it really should be. I think we can both be thankful that the cars were either parked or being driven slowly at the time.

Just hoping that I get it back before I get to the 49 day cut-off point my car insurance company helpfully pointed out was the maximum I could insure the hire car for. I'll be writing to Citroen for them to pay the car hire firms insurance if it comes to it!

Regards

PaulD

Alan wrote:

suddenly