diesel and carpets ...

All,
Having successfully replaced the lift pump I failed to re-engage one of the fuel pipe properly and have filled up the rear seats with diesel ... mmm ...
smells so good ...
Any recommendations for how to get diesel out of carpets and seats etc ?
I was thinking of removing all the carpets and jet washing them but the I fear the seat base cushions have got a soaking too .... aghhhhh !!!!!!
Will I ever get the smell out or shall I just get a new car ....
yours hopefully
Steve
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
drd wrote:

S/H seats from where you got your pump from?
--
Malc

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend
‚úĖ

I think it may have been in this newsgroup that cat litter was suggested as a way to help get oil out of a cement or concrete drive. That would probably help get it out of your car, too - even the fabrics may give up at least some of the oil eventually.
Google comes up with some suggestions for
dry-clean oil stain
and
diesel upholstery stain
These look interesting <http://www.shoutitout.com/oil-stains/ (commercial product) and <http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf868020.tip.html (a web forum discussion on this same sort of problem).
Halfords etc may have products that could help too - but the 'Listerene' suggestion in the web forum above is intriguing.
I've used 'white spirit' to get tar and grease off the car paintwork - but the fumes from that are worse than from diesel oil, and it may not be good for fabrics.
Many years ago, I remember my mother using eucalyptus oil to clean the 'beach tar' from clothes and picnic things (back in the days when ships freely dumped used oil and gunge into the sea and it wound up as more or less sticky lumps on beaches where kids played). At least it smells nice (but I think it's poisonous too, in large quantities).
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
drd wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Hi Xserty,
I'm sure it'd work very well but I'd need around 50kg and I've only ever seen it sold in small tubs for baking!
I've stripped the carpets, seats and seat belts out of the car and have covered them in 30kg of cat litter (Fullers earth) which seems to drawing the fuel out ... and the other 20kg I've poured into the rear footwells where most of the fuel seems to have collected ... I reckon another 50kg tomorrow should have most of the smell dealt with ... or I'll get a new car next week ...
cheers
Steve
Xserty wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

car
Well, look on the bright side, at least you shouldn't have any rust problems in the footwell now.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<snip>

well, the fullers earth seems to have worked wonders on the carpets and seat belts - and I have junked the foam liner (which went under the rear carpet) as it seemed to have soaked up a lot of fuel ... I filled the cavity left by the foam with more cat litter! If the NVH is too bad I'll get another liner from the breakers ...
thanks all
Steve
Add pictures here
‚úĖ