Diesel Starting Problem

Page 3 of 3
Eduardo K. wrote:

Eduardo, that doesn't count. My response was to Adrian who said that some cars are fitted with an inhibitor. Excessive side thrust that prevents and engine starting may be an effective inhibitor but Citroen didn't design it in as a feature :-)
Nice try though :-)
--
Regards

Steve G

But it does prove that I am correct and you an ignorant idiot for doubting that the fault can exist!
<snip>

Well we will have to agree to dis-agree on that then...
:Jerry: wrote:

Yawn. You're becoming repetitive and boring.
--
Regards

Steve G

Wow, it's taken five days for you to think of a 'come back', your brain must be really hurting!
:Jerry: wrote:

Not really, I just didn't see your post
--
Regards

Steve G
In gurgled happily,

BMW, Mercedes and Ford very often instruct you in the handbook to depress the clutch when starting. There are also a few cars about that won't start *unless* the clutch is depressed.
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi,

goes
him
You could still have some faulty glow plugs. There are two types of plug made for these engines, the type for the turbo are made to stay on longer each start, so will last longer overall. Do not get the plugs for the non turbo model. It is also possible that you have a faulty glow plug relay, in that the light still comes on, but no power is actually being supplied to the plugs. The only way to test for this is with a voltmeter attached to one of the plugs while you turn on the ignition. You can also check the individual plugs by measuring the resistance of each, but you have to disconnect each one in turn from the supply cable. Faulty pugs will normally be open circuit. Normal resistance cold is under one ohm.
Blimey, I wish I had never even mentioned pressing down the clutch on a cold morning and then starting the engine. GGJ
Gary G Jones wrote:

But Gary, you've given us such entertainment. Consider it an act of kindness to provide such an interesting tangent to explore :-)
--
Regards

Steve G

cold
Actually disengaging the clutch before starting is a requisite on many bikes now, could be some American legislation or something. Perhaps Jerry is a bike mechanic?

<snip>
I suggest that you learn how to read (the thread)!...
Is there any chance we could stop the "I'm cleverer than you" argument? I'm getting bored with it now. You lot will have to try much harder to entertain me.
--
Malc

"Bother!" said Pooh, and hid Piglet's corpse