Does Xsara 1.4 need exhaust heat shield?

Hi,
The exhaust heat shield has just come loose on my S reg Citroen Xsara 1.4i Petrol.
I spoke to a garage who said that depending what was underneath, you
may not actually need a heat shield.
Is this true for the Xsara? Do I need to get a new shield fitted or is it not worth it?
Thanks squelch41

Xsara
you
is
Lets put it this way, many vehicles will be safe with a heat shield missing (some will not be though) but remember that most manufactures will save production costs if at all possible - such as by not fitting a plain washer to a bolt, or using a smaller bolt, for example - do you think that they would go to the cost (both material and production) of fitting a heat shield if it wasn't necessary to have it on the vehicle?...
Well, that is what I was thinking and hence was surprised when I was told it might not be necessary.
My brother was told the same thing when his Fiat Punto heat shield broke.
Hence was wondering what others thought
Jerry wrote:

<snip>

shield
manufactures
material
was
Remember that most 'mechanics' in the UK (excluding those who are nearer their retirement than apprenticeship) are nothing more that fitters with (sometimes very) limited knowledge of the theory side of vehicle design - many of those who work in the 'Fast Fit' industry have not done a full apprenticeship... :~(
Jerry wrote:

here comes the science ......
saying something like:

I agree. Manufacturers don't give you something if they consider it unnecessary. It might only be necessary 5% of the time, but if they didn't fit it they might be liable for damages if something caught fire.
--

Dave
SE6a

Couldnt have put it better myself. I have removed most heat shields from my car (long story,its no longer anything like standard) but when i took each one off i monitored the temperature of the surrounding parts for days afterwards and lagged those i thought may suffer. Your other option is to use exhaust lagging,you can buy a bit of this for <20 quid and wrap the bit the heat shield came off. This is used on performance cars and is standard practice.
<snip>

when
Your
for
Why not just leave the original heat shields on?......
Can't wait to hear the answer!
Jerry ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In the case of the heatshield under the cat on my XM, simple - because it fell off...