Drivers side window

Citroen ZX N reg 1.9 diesel. The driver's door window has been wound down about halfway (electric windows) and won't come back up. I can slide the glass up and my wife has wedged it with wooden wedges so it's halfway secure for now. I'm about to take the door trim off at the weekend and have a look. Any pointers? The electric winder makes a funny groaning noise for half a second then stops which ever way you try and move the window so I suspect the glass carrier has come off its rails or something.

Cheers

Reply to
malc

The message from "malc" contains these words:

Mine was like that when I bought it. it was the grooved drum on the motor which had died, the raised lands which are supposed to guide the wire rope to wind in a spiral had got crushed and the cable was all snarled up. Just replacing the cable wouldn't work as the drum was damaged beyond reasonable repair - so I got another whole winder mechanism from the breakers. £15.

When fitting it you need the glass half way up or lower, which makes getting the windows out of the donor car tricky as the batteries are out and the windows are usually up. I was lucky and persuaded the bod to lend me a battery so I could get the window part way down. To get the glass out on the Xantia there was a square plastic washer on the far side of the glass which had to be rotated them prised off the peg that engages in the hole in the glass.

I doubt it's come off the rails, the design in that area seems quite good.

Reply to
Guy King

TBH if it's that complicated I might just get a whole door and swap the locks over.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Guy King (Guy King ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...and XM.

In my case, all three front windows that died did so because the cable rusted and broke. I replaced the first with new, which did the same within five years. The stainless cable from e-crofting.co.uk fixed it fine on that one, but the third had knackered the plastic drum up too badly, so I had to use a replacement.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Malc contains these words:

Nah, it took me about fifteen minutes to get the old one out and the new one in, and that was including the time taken to get the fixing buttons out of the doorcard.

Reply to
Guy King

It's not that difficult, indeed swapping the locks could be more involved, on some cars (not sure about the Xantia specifically) you would have to remove the window / winder unit anyway - swapping doors has all sorts of hidden problems / issues.

BTW, the quickest way of getting the window glass out of a donor door (assuming you don't also want the glass) is to have a slight accident with it!...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Well the cable's snapped and the winder drum is completely enclosed in a rivetted casing so no getting to that easily. Plus there's only a couple of small holes in the door skin so I can't see how to thread a new cable. New door some time when I get the tuits together I think.

Reply to
malc

The message from "malc" contains these words:

Pah, you're not trying! New cable is easy to thread once the unit's in your hand and the slidery things is out.

Reply to
Guy King

First off, yes there will only be small holes in the door skin (normally for the handle and lock barrel), I think you mean *door frame*! Secondly, you will need to remove the winder/motor unit to work on it. Third, it's highly unlikely that you will ever renew the cable successfully, time for either a new or SH unit.

Reply to
:Jerry:

malc ("malc" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Easy. Drill the rivet, then re-assemble with a small nut & bolt.

The motor assembly comes out the door fairly easily.

Reply to
Adrian

:Jerry: (":Jerry:" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I managed.

Reply to
Adrian

Lucky you!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Yes I can do that bit, it's the cable bit that is a problem.

Reply to
malc

malc ("malc" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If it's anything like the XM, it's all the same assembly. Looks a bit like a cartoon archery bow.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "malc" contains these words:

Just don't take it apart with a carving knife.

Reply to
Guy King

Except at Heathrow!... :~0

Reply to
:Jerry:

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from ":Jerry:" contains these words:

We used to live in Hounslow, just up the road.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Malc contains these words:

ITYM

Reply to
Guy King

Well that wasn't bad. £20 for a door from a scrappy, half an hour to drive to scrappy remove door and return. Half an hour to fit door and change lock. I are mostly chuffed. Ok the door isn't the same colour but who cares, it's less rusty than the old door too.

Reply to
malc