Electrics... am I being conned?

Hi, for nearly two years I have had no fan for my car but it's not been too much of a problem... if my windscreen steams up I just open the window!!! recently I paid an auto electrician to fix it, who advised me that there was a problem with the circuit and he fixed the problem. two days later however it stopped working, however this time so did the windscreen wipers and just about everything else. he said that as it is an old car (is about 6 years old) the fuses collapsed as now it had more things on at the same time and wants to replace my fuse box. Am i being conned, or is this guy right? Andy

Reply to
hmunro580

Sounds like he's conning you. You don't say what model it is by the way; there may be specific advice that someone could give you. A six year old car shouldn't have that many problems with its fuses. Heck a six year old car is virtually brand new to me.

Reply to
malc

Either he is conning you, or he doesn't know what he is doing, thus the principle is to change everything until the fault goes away. A very easy thing to do as long as someone else is paying.

Reply to
Brian

( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fuses don't just "collapse" - and if they DO, you just change the fuse. There's no way that a car that's only 6yo needs a fusebox replacing as a matter of course. That's not "old" for a car, anyway.

Take it to a different sparky - one that knows what the hell he's doing.

If you're anywhere near Chesham, Bucks, I can heartily recommend PW Auto Electrics.

Reply to
Adrian

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in news:1163709124.321818.219860 @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Unless it is a 6 y/o Austin Maestro, which I doubt, ;-), I would suspect his workmanship.

Reply to
Tunku

skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Would be very strange if the fuse box collaps now if it has never done it while the car was new.... The fuses i can understand, but not the entire box. I had an old mazda where the fuses all blew at the same time due to a MISTAKE the garage made when installing a new radio. If the entire fuse box went to "the other side" he`s done a mistake.

Reply to
Frank The Poet

There have been some occasions when dry joints have been found on the printed circuits on the PSA fuseboards. However, all have been repaired with a soldering iron an a few minutes.

Reply to
Brian

Hello hmunro.

can you tell me what sort of car it is. Some vehicles have the interior fan and wiper circuits running from a separate contact on the ignition switch, if this is the case, your fuse holder is fine, go somewhere else. If the fuse holder IS faulty, i would be surprised as the vehicle is only 6yrs old, not very old, and probably only about

120k to 150klm on the clock, right? Let me know what model it is, and I will do my best to diagnose it for you.

Regards.

Reply to
autolec