Help! ZX Alarm problem

My 1994 UK Citroen ZX has developed problems with the alarm. When using the key fob to lock the car up the car locks itself and then straight away unlocks itself. There is often a flashing of idicators although the alarm
itself it doesn't sound (I don't think it actually works).
Whilst I am not bothered about having a working alarm I do need to be able to lock the car. The car won't lock by using the key in the door either.
I have tried various combinations of starting the car with the alarm button depressed and trying to lock the car from inside but to no avail. Does anyone know what is causing this? I don't want to take the car to a dealer as it only cost me 75!
says...

It sounds like the alarm thinks there is a door open somewhere on the car. I suggest investigating this first. Certainly on the Pug 306 this is the symptom of an open door and I believe the electrics involved are more or less identical.
Jim
--
Remove `spamtrapped` to reply off-list
http://jim-mason.fotopic.net/c162491.html

Just been out and opened and closed all of the doors, boot and bonnet and it is still doing it.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:47:13 +0000, ian wrote:

It will most likely be a fault in the central locking not actually the alarm (although the alarm is obviously connected to the central locking, but then this is a bit of a guess as i don't know much about the ZX) , can you try locking all the doors manually with the central locking disabled (remove a fuse probably) and see if a lock isn't working.

Problem is (and this leads me to thinking you are right with your theory about it being a central locking problem) that the drivers door does not lock or unlock with a key. The passenger door will only lock or unlock that door and not the others.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:34:50 +0000, ian wrote:

Hmmn, with the suggestion that your drivers door won't lock with the key (you mean it just doesn't lock? or do you mean that it locks and then unlocks?) would be that the lock in that door is broken somehow, does the barrel turn and just not lock? or does the barrel not move at all?
Sorry, I can't be much more help but I have never played with doors, and locks and central locking.

Well, after a 25 mile drive to work the central locking has now starting working again so whatever it is its tempermental.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Car still not locking! Went to the car at lunchtime and all doors unlocked apart from the driver side which I had to manually open by climbing across the passenger seat. Now the central locking locks and unlocks itself when the key fob is pressed and the lock on the drivers door won't move if I try to open it manually.
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:34:07 +0000, ian wrote:

Well, it sounds like you will need to take the drivers side door to bits and try to find out what the problem is :)

Does the ZX suffer from the same wiring problem as the 306 re the loom which goes through the door pillar? A break in this loom would cause the random behaviour described.
Jim
--
Remove `spamtrapped` to reply off-list
http://jim-mason.fotopic.net/c162491.html
says...

I was meaning the system `thinks` a door is open. I assume there must be some sort of limit switch on the doors that when all are met it allows activation of the alarm, if one is open circuit then you are unable to arm the alarm. Find the faulty switch/lock and I reckon you will solve the problem.
Jim