Intermittent fault on ZX 1.9TD 1994 aura

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. My ZX after a few years of loyal service has developed an intermittent fault. The car refuses to start, it makes no sound at all when I turn the key. It doesnt matter how many times I try it! If I leave it for a few days it will suddenley start again. I don't think its the starter motor, stator or glow plugs as I dont change anything and it randomly works again! Any suggestions greatly appreciated I really dont want to commit it to the scrapyard just yet.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
edofbristol

sounds like a relay to me. you sure there's no clicks anywhere when you turn the key ? can you get a multimeter on the car and sequentially test the system from the key to the starter ?

Reply to
.

Hi Ed.

Get yourself armed with a length of wire and a spade terminal on one end, bare the other and try this.

When the car refuses to start, pop the bonnet and disconnect the small wire from the starter solenoid, put your replacement wire in it's place, then make sure that the car is in neutral and turn on the ignition, touch the bare end of the wire onto the battery pos, if the car starts the problem lies in the ignition switch, not uncommon.

If you have found the ignition switch to be at fault, there is normally no need to replace it! You can get around the problem by wiring a relay into the curcuit, this option is cheap and effective.

Try the wire and see how you get on.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

"." wrote in news:qB8%f.6562$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

That, or bad grounding for the negative terminal. Had that once. The shop forgot to connect the grounding cable from the engineblock to the chassis. Car ran fine, except for the odd failing to start.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Bot