Jerky Xant

Hi everybody. I have a couple of small porbs that I need help with. Firstly, when I start my '95 M Xant the front suspension rises in jerks until it reaches normal ride height, whereas the rear suspension glides up as it is supposed to. When the engine is turned off, the front suspension sits where it is for a few seconds and then suddenly drops, while the rear glides back down. Also, I am getting a bad knocking noise from the front suspension when driving on uneven roads, but the car has just passed it's MOT and nothing was found wrong there. Has anybody got any ideas, Pleeaase?

Reply to
Alan Peter Ghillyer via CarKB.com

Message i.d.:, by author Alan Peter Ghillyer via CarKB.com aka inspired me,

Guess it's time to replace the spheres.

Reply to
2Rowdy

Could also try greasing the struts (the top bush can get a little dry): Put it on high, pull the corrugated boot down, apply grease (not too much) to the shaft, replace the boot and then run it up and down a couple of times.

Knocking noises usually point to suspension joints. A famous one on the Xant are the tie rods that connect each end of the anti-roll bar to the struts (try holding the joint at each end and feel for movement while your glamorous assistant rocks the car from side-to-side). Good news is they're not too expensive from the likes of GSF and you won't need a balljoint splitter to get them off.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann