Killed my lovely Xantia <sob>

All,

Please join me in mourning the passing of my 99 Xant estate hdi ... much loved etc

Earlier this evening I hit a diesel spill on a local slip round and it spun out and round several times and hit the central reservation HARD - the front of the car is no more ...

In preparation for a derisory offer from the insurance company can any of you suggest good source for used values to help argue my case?

Model and age as above, 150k miles, average condition, white, new tyres and battery (grrrr ....)

many thanks in advance

Steve

PS anyone got a Xant estate hdi for sale in brighton area ...?

Reply to
drd

Try this link:

Gene S. Park

Steve, sorry to hear about your sad loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences. I'd try eBay for realistic buying prices but use Auto Trader to get values for insurance purposes - they're nearly always higher.

Any chance of swapping tyres over before the insurance company get their hands on it? Only joking :-)) Good luck with your search for a replacement.

Reply to
SteveG

who's joking! I'm going down the yard tomorrow to recover the luggage cover and as many wheels as I can!! Thanks for the advice - I have yet to hear from the insurenace peeps but I expect he worse. I've been pleasnatly surprised what can be had for 3-4k these days ... 7yr old E320, V70, Bmw 540i ;-)

all the best

drd

just had the insurance assessor call ...

Him - "It's obviously a write off sir ... lots of miles ... bit tatty ... no service history etc etc ... what do you think it's worth?" Me - "Book value is probably less than £1,000 but it'd cost me more that that to replace it so ... £1,300 please" Him - "I think it's worth more than that - £1,450 ok?" Me - "Yes ... thank you" Him - "The cheque's in the post ...."

they wont let me have the wheels off it though .... grrrr .... ;-)

thanks all

Steve

Reply to
drd

Of course not, it's not your car anymore, perhaps your neighbour will allow you to steal his cars wheels and tyres instead?!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Now listen. That nice man has paid £150 for the privilige of you telling everyone what a nice company they are. Cheap advertising at the price, but the least you can do is to say who you were insured with. ;-))

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

he actually justified the higher value saying that it often cost more to actually replace a vehicle than that value represented by the 'book' price, so his estimate reflected this adjustment ... it may have been BS but it was nicely delivered and puts me £500 ahead of where I thought I'd be so I'm happy!

Norwich Union ....

atb

Reply to
drd

And a nod to the engineers who made a car and crash-barrier that kept you intact even if the car wasn't.

I span a BMW 316 on an oily slip-road once. Not a pleasant experience - although somehow I didn't hit anything. A big articulated lorry following me, demonstrated one of the merits of having more than four wheels; he slid a bit, but his extra wheels kept him more or less straight.

Could this be why they are called 'slip' roads?

Reply to
Whiskers

Now that's what I call a result :-)

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Whatever happens DO NOT waste your money on a Bimmer! Their reputation is far better than the actual experience of owning and driving one - been there, done that, still wearing the scars :-(

Reply to
SteveG

bu99er! ... too late ... 528i SE touring arriving tomorrow ...

what horrors have I got in store then ... ????

please dont make me regret not waiting for another Xantia!

Reply to
drd

Whilst not wanting to depress you too much ... the engine, chassis and=20 gearbox will be fine. It's the electronics, steering and suspension that =

let the cars down - very sophisticated but overly complex and,=20 therefore, unreliable. How about brake discs _designed_ to only last for =

two sets of pads? Suspension bushes are prone to rapid wear and can be=20 flippin costly to replace ... more than =A3900 on my 7 series! And that=20 was at an independent garage NOT a main dealer. You can't afford to miss =

a service, or even delay one, without risk. I got rid of the 7 - it was=20 the most costly car to run I have ever owned - and bought my current Xant= ia.

On the plus side, there are plenty of Internet forums where you can get=20 information and assistance. Unlike this newsgroup they are really=20 active; which demonstrates the level of problems that occur :-(

I hope your experience is better :-)

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

A while back there was a joke doing the rounds of the Bimmer forums. Why do BMW owners always drive so fast? So they can get home before something goes wrong ;-)

Reply to
SteveG

LOL

I hear what you're saying and suspect you may be correct but hopefully I'll have better luck.

I drove it back from Ealing to Brighton today and was impressed by the vehicle refinement which was not bad for an estate - it still had a some typical estate boom but when it wasn't booming it was very quiet- a much more relaxing drive than the Xant. And the tiptronic box is a nice feature for burning lots of fuel quickly and efficiently ...

and of course being a BMW driver I no longer need to indicate, give way or display any road manners ...

atb

Steve

Reply to
drd

drd wrote: SNIP

I see you've got the hang of it already :-))

Reply to
SteveG