Missing the spare tyre spanner on my Saxo

Got a slow puncture last week. Went to change the tire only to find that the previous owner has made off with the spanner that should be clipped in the boot! This meant that I couldn't release the spare tyre from
under the car - what a pain.
Does anyone know the best place to get a replacement?
--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

Any decent car parts place - or even Halfrauds - will sell you a wheelbrace that's *infinitely* better than the crappy bit of bent wire that's provided as standard.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I totally agree. The `spanner` supplied is a piece of junk and is totally useless if any sort of force is needed to budge the nuts.
Jim
--
Remove `spamtrapped` to reply off-list
http://jim-mason.fotopic.net/c162491.html

Cool. Are they standard across all cars? Do I just walk into halfords and say "sell me a wheelbrace!", and they'll know what I'm talking about?
The nut I need to loosen that is supporting the wheel under the car from inside the boot) is a little odd, I've never seen one like it before. It's cap is a chunky solid disk of metal with a notch through the middle much like a grossly overfed screw-head (non-philips).
--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars
Toby wrote:

I did wonder whether the other posters had missed that! No a Halfords wheelbrace is no good to you for dropping the spare down.
I think your best bet would be a scrap yard (if they still exist!).
Andrew
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were

that
wheelbrace
provided
say
In that case, get yourself a wheelbrace while you are in for a 3/8 drive socket-set! A 3/8 ratchet with an extension bar is perfect for these.
Incidentally, Halfrauds' universal, extendable wheel-braces are excellent!
CAS
Toby ( snipped-for-privacy@asktoby.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

99% are standard, yes. 99% chance it's 19mm, same as 99% of all other cars on the road. If you're concerned, go to Halfrauds in the car, and ask to try it...

Same as my XM. The bit that fits it is just spot welded onto the end of the (crappy) wheelbrace, and fell off the first time I tried to use it.
Just get the biggest, fattest, heaviest, bluntest screwdriver you can find. Oh, and grease the thread on the catch.