MPH to KPH

When I bought my C3 they changed the speedometer so that it read in mph instead of kph. If I go abroad is there any way I can change it back to kph myself. I am thinking of going to Ireland. Will such a manoeuvre automatically change the odometer to kilometres travelled instead of miles? I don't want to do that. TIA Icedog

Reply to
icedog

Most speedometers marked in MPH also have a KPH scale, usually in smaller characters or a different colour. I expect that most cars in use in Ireland still have speedometers marked in MPH; the change to metric speed limits only took place in January.

The easiest approach might be to get (or make) a simple conversion table, and memorise the MPH equivalent of common speed limits.

looks useful.

I think there could be legal implications to trying to re-program or mechanically alter your speedometer; if you really want to do that, consult a garage.

Reply to
Whiskers

Before I became familiar with resetting the trip meter, I once made the speedo units change from mph to kph by accident.

I can't remember what I did- was it hold down RH button for a long time without? with? the engine running?- but be assured that it *can* be done using one of the buttons on the speedo panel.

As for the odometer question- sorry, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain that it stayed in miles for me- though I didn't have the speedo in kph for even a minute, and certainly didn't travel any distance with it like that.

Reply to
tersono

I would have thought that the odometer would keep the mileage/kilometerage even if it changed the units. It's only counting pulses from the gearbox so presumably it just stores them in some sort of memory and performs a conversion to display them. BICBW

Reply to
Malc

Whiskers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ID-107770.user.individual.net:

A Citroen C3 has a digital scale...

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten Deen

Yuck :(( I won't be getting one of them then.

Reply to
Whiskers

From what I can remember you view the total mileage screen, press the button on the right of the display until the word MILES flashes then give one press of the same button and MILES changes to KM you then have to turn off the ignition and when you turn on again speedo and odometer read in KM. The process to return to MILES is similar.

Apologies if I have not remembered the steps correctly.

Reply to
JPG

Thanks for the info. I'll try it this weekend.

Tony.

Reply to
icedog