My first Citroen? which one do i choose? ds? or cx? or bx?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, ive come to the point in my life where i need an unusual car. Citroen would be my first choice, ive always loved their style. Basically the choice is between a ds or cx (some people have suggested a bx, but i
think the styling isnt as nice as the old ones)
It seems the cx is getting quite rare, how are these for parts and reliability and keeping up with modern traffic? any big things to look out for when i come to inspecting one? rust i take it is a one of the big things to look out for, anything else?
Im quite hand with my hands, and have owned old cars before, so working on the basics doesnt scare me, but what about these hydrulics? only to be done by an expert?
well thats about all of it i think, just looking for some opinions from owners, thanks for listening to my question.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Having owned two CXs and a BX, I would say that the CX is by far the superior car. I recall the advert Citroen for the BX that ran something like "Loves roads, hates garages" - my feeling was at the time that this was because the BX spent so much time in the garage, that it was sick of the place.
--
Regards,
Dave

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with BXs - but they really aren't to be considered in the same breath as the D and CX...
Are Ds and CXs really to be considered in the same breath? No, I'm not sure they are. They're very different beasts. I've had four CXs, but never a D - and, to be perfectly honest, I just can't see myself owning one, even thought I adore them deeply.

No problem at all.

A CX turbo has damn near 170bhp...

Not at all. Very straightforward.
Are you in the UK? If so, come along to the CCC National Rally this weekend, at Wood Green Showground, Godmanchester, Huntingdon. Have a damn good look at CXs, have a damn good look at Ds - see which floats your boat.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

car.
<snip>
working on

be done

Your main issues are going to be corrosion IMO [1], assuming that you can get your head around the hydraulics (have a look at this site http://www.citroen-ds-id.com /), both the D and the CX are real post war Citroens - the BX has a lot of Peugeot influence, especially in the engine and drive-chain.
If you are just handy with mechanicals then you might be best thinking about a BX, although even BX rust.
[1] unless you are very fortunate or can throw a cheque book at the car!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading < and I became inspired,> If you are just handy with mechanicals then you might be best

The BX doesn't have the *Aaaah* factor.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

They killed the Credo. Viva el Credo!
‚úĖ
and I became inspired,

Nor does a CX for that matter, if you are a purist!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
:::Jerry:::: ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Kill the heretic! A CX most certainly does have "Aaaah". An XM, otoh...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading < gurgled happily, sounding much

I think the mk1 has some *Aaah*. The mk2 otoh..
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
‚úĖ

I thought my Mk1 16V had loads of Aaaah (as well as Eeek on occasions!)
TF
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading < wrote

Had an accident with a mk1 once. I was so distracted by the weird speedometer I didn't see that the car in front of me was braking. The BX has become so common it's easily forgotten that it was a revolutionary model.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
‚úĖ

A DS clearly is a vintage car, which means that you have to take care for it and search for spare parts etc. Usualy DS-cars do not have an catalytic converter, ABS brakes are not available, so the use of an DS in everey day life is somewhat limited (okay, the use of a pre-war 15 CV Traction Avant may be even more limited). Compared to that a late CX is a more modern solution - which may well fall into the gap between vintage cars and modern cars. You will also have to search for parts and for experts to maintain this car, but its outdated emission standards may cause problems when running it in metropolitan areas (you will not be allowed to run such a car in many european cities, soon).
Ever thought about a nice XM, fully loaded, in perfect condition?
Frank
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Strictly speaking, no. "Vintage" is a clearly defined term, applying to cars built after 1918 (Before that would be Veteran) and before 1931.

Same applies to a CX.

D parts are easier to find than CX parts.

Nor do CXs. And that's good. Catalytic converters are bloody horrible things that should never have been legally enforced.

They're only on very late CXs, not on s1 CXs which is - I suspect - what's being considered here.

But you forgot airbags! And traction control! And ESP suspension! And Xenon lights! And headlights that turn with the steering! And fancy hi-tech manual gearboxes that operate the clutch for you! And all the other utterly unnecessary crap modern cars are inflicted with.
I drove the Acadiane to work today, instead of the XM. And I enjoyed it FAR FAR more. There's loads of Ds in every day use in the UK, with many of them doing quite large mileages.

Fortunately, that is very unlikely to be a problem in the UK in the foreseeable future. Traffic causing ridiculous journey times is a *far* bigger problem.

Speaking as an ex-CX owner and current XM owner, I can only say... <yawn> The XM just doesn't cut it HERE <thumps chest> in the same way as a CX or a DS does. Sure, it's a far more practical car. If you don't mind all the little niggly problems they have. But it's just not got the same emotional involvement.
Oh, and XM parts and expertise aren't exactly common.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading < and I became inspired,> But you forgot airbags! And traction control! And ESP suspension!

Er. Headlights that turn with steering?
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
‚úĖ
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<evil grin> and the gearbox...?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading < gurgled happily, sounding much like

Also a Cit first?
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
‚úĖ
2Rowdy ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I dunno about that. I'm sure there were semi-auto boxes before - Citroen never really did anything *NEW*-new, they just slapped it all together and had the balls to sell it - but the BVH in the D was certainly a milestone that got forgotten and has recently been resurrected with many computers and much hype... Just like the headlights.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
haute in die Tasten:

and
care
an
pre-war
Err neither of those 'things' are required for everyday motoring, indeed there are arguments to be made that both cause more problems than they solve. A DS is quite capable of keeping up with normal everyday driving - in fact (again there is an argument to be made that the DS is some what better equipped to do so than many cars built now.
Indeed there is a parts supply problem, but then again try obtaining some parts for 15 year old cars - of most makes.
Compared to that a

gap
metropolitan
Says who, can you cite such retrospective (EU?) legislation please - if you are correct it will mean that just about all old cars (remember that the CX remained in production well into the 1980's) will fall foul of this.

Hmmm, anything that relies on software and silicon chips is going to be bad news when the obsolete E[lectronic] CU or sensors give up. Ever wonder why the 2CV is so popular?!...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Adrian wrote:

what's teh guide price for a top spec A1 example of both/either of them ?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
. ( snipped-for-privacy@.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You'd struggle to pay more than £3-4k for a CX, unless it's a RHD Prestige Turbo (Cit only built five...)
Any really nice D is closing on £10k - and a decap sold a little while ago for Eur125,000 - in need of restoration...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
<snip>

while ago

To think, when I started in the trade, people couldn't give them away - even the scrap yards didn't want them! Time machine, isolated dry old barn, trailer....
Add pictures here
‚úĖ