new berlingo 12v socket help

You may remember my post before about the berlingo cigarette lighter.

Ive' got a 1999 berlingo multispace, the lighter is wired through the ignition system. Therefore, it won't work without the key being in. The best way around it that I can think of is to fit an auxillary socket in the back of the car.

Can anybody recommend which guage of wiring to use, and what size fuse. I don't want to start a fire!

Reply to
dan

lighter.

socket in

What do you want to run off this supply? This will give you the fuse rating which in turn will give the cable size you need - IOW what you are asking is akin to asking use what length if string you are holding!

Reply to
Jerry

Model battery charger, mobile charger, camera charger, laptop etc. Maybe small fridge, but not all at once!

standard fuse on existing cigarette lighter is (from what I remember)

10w

If you know of any way of rewiring/modifying the existing lighter that would be helpful as well as I really don't want to do this unless I have to! (lack of time).

it's a stupid, stupid design.

Jerry wrote:

Reply to
dan

None of thos items will take more than 4 Amps, so a 10A fuse would be fine, though a 15A would be more common. Wire, 0.75mm2 would be fine, no less though. It's not so much the risk of fire, it's more the voltage drop, so nothing works as it should. I really cannot understand the logic of having the power to a cigar lighter socket switched. I have a 307SW, and in the 307 hatch, the socket is permanently powered, but in the SW it is via the ignition switch. I rewired mine direct from the fuseboard. Don't know what fuse yours is fed from, but I have seen in some Peugeots that if say fuse 24 is used, there is a 24A fuse space which changes the lighter to permanently powered.

Reply to
Brian

In the past, Peugeots were known for their wiring-loom 'fires' (smouldering / melting would be a better description) cause by permanently live and un-fused cigar lighters coming adrift and shorting out - I suspect that PSA have become over cautious...

Reply to
Jerry

Iv'e heard of this fuse before, does anybody know what number it is?

car is 2002 berlingo multispace forte

Reply to
dan

...........although not to the point of having a switched auxiliary socket in the rear of the Picasso. At least, mine's permanently on (2000 model) - don't know if they changed it later.

TF

Reply to
Tony Fisk