Picasso autobox

I have a Pic with automatic gearbox (2.0 litre petrol). When I decelerate to a speed around 40 km/h (25 mph) the box does not shift down to a proper gear for that speed. It insists on keeping a too high a gear (4th?). This
naturally results in a rumbling noise and vibration. To get a proper gear I have to one of the following: 1. Decelerate significantly below the problematic speed and then accelerate back to it 2. Kickdown 3. Put the box in Sport mode
I have never before encountered this in an automatic gearbox. Until now I have thought that automatic transmission is... well... *automatic* requiring no human intervention in selecting a proper gear.
Is there something wrong with my box or is it an intentional feature serving some purpose unknown to me?
-Pertti
Add pictures here
‚úĖ