pouring water on hot engine

I've been to the garage with my ZX, I have a great engine there, they put in a thermostat (I knew I needed one), everything ok, and then, to my horror, the mechanic poured tap water over parts of the engine to
wash off the green radiator fluid. I asked him, to late, why he did this and isn't a no-no, and of course I don't give a damn if the engine has green stains or pink ones for that matter, and if it is not dangerous to the engine, as these temp differences can cause an engine to crack. He, and all the rest of the mechanics there, said they do it all the time. I'm pissed off because I hate it when people do useless and unnecessary things to an engine that might be harmfull to it. What do you say? is it non-healthy or is it OK? the engine was in proper working temp, ~ 90 degrees, and the tap water was ~ 10 degrees, he poured about 1 liter. I wish you'd all say I'm working a frenzy for nothing and it's no big deal... thanks
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
idoyair ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

<boggle> Ummm... Right...

Gladly.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
In message

I should think every time you drive through a puddle you get quite a bit splashed onto parts of your engine.
I dread to think how high the cold flood water was lapping around my engine back in July..........
Regards,
--
Neil Pugh

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 02:57:35 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think that's only on a glass engine - the ZX doesn't have one of those.
--

Ian D

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
cheers all, I needed that... :)
(though I must say I think a puddle gets on the less sensitive underside, and gets more diffused momentary splaterings, and not a concentrated continous pour on a specific engine part, but, I shall now officially give it a rest...).
to give a nice touch to this post, this mechanic, whom all in all I do like and appreciate, helped me in a very cool way: we have 2 ZX's, both identical year/make. mine has less feel in the steering. I'm a steering maniac (ideally would have the feel of a tractor. very un-citroen of me) i aske the mechanic if at least he could lower the amount of the assist from the power steering, he did, by putting some kind of spacer between the power and the steering mechanism. result: way better, more feel. very cool on his part (not sure everyone would have known to do this).
Add pictures here
‚úĖ