Question

Page 1 of 3
What is the model (year) and model (name) of the citroen that you see in the James Bond movies which is always used as a taxi in France? You know the one with the weird tail lights on the roof?
I really like the looks of it & wanna buy one.
TIA
--

Turn off that damned internet!
http://www.turnofftheinternet.com /

Sounds like a DS.
Yes it's a DS, also seen in Back to the Future No 2 as a flying taxi, although I dont think that Citroen ever made any that flew!!! Regards. Slim
What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 22 Feb 2006 10:26:41
from this open and apparent shame?:

Can you point me to a photo of one & give me any info like the years they were made & any other interesting specs (like are they a piece of crap, etc.)
--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

'56-'75 is when they were made.
I don't own one but it seems that they aren't that bad as long as they are maintained properly.
Just Google Citroen DS and you'll get tons of pics.

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/phototheques/ds/dsphoto1.html
--

Ian

Frosty ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

www.google.com
Try these links
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Citroen-DS-21-1972_W0QQitemZ4615082831QQcategoryZ6183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Citroen-DS-19-Automobile_W0QQitemZ4614585297QQcategoryZ6183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1964-CITROEN-DS-Convertible-ID-19-CABRIOLET_W0QQitemZ4615341991QQcategoryZ6183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another link for the UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-D-super-5-1972_W0QQitemZ4615074559QQcategoryZ122146QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
French link
http://cgi.ebay.fr/citroen-ds-20_W0QQitemZ4615884959QQcategoryZ73580QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just a little bit of advice though. The DS is a great car and very reliable, but personally I would go for a post 1966 model and preferably a 5 speed manual transmission. Remember these words, "if you cant afford a good one, you certainly cant afford to maintain a bad one"
Regards, Slim.

although to be fair it depends on your level of experience with restoration also i personally think the estate version looks awful the coupe looks ace as does the saloon would be very tempted to attack one with alloys and xantia suspension though and possibly the 2.0 litre inj engine from a xantia as well (xu10) would make an interesting project although some would cry out in protest

Xantia suspension? Are you insane? Why not fit Ford Model T while you're at it - that's even worse!
--

Ian

where is your sense of adventure?
Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :
<Of DS>

There's some bloke in Sweden who put Activa on an SM...
Mindwipe (jeffinleeds@nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :
<Of DS>

But Cit put DS suspension on the Xant from the factory...
(Well, as best they could, considering the Xant has Ford Cortina front struts)
The Xantia does not have Mcpherson struts on the front.
The front struts are hydraulic cylinders, cleverly disguised to look like a Mcpherson strut. This was a bit of a clever marketing ploy first used on the BX, it was done to fool the hydraulic suspension scardy cats!!
Looks like it worked!
Regards. Slim
Slim ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It most certainly does.

It looks like a Mac Strut. It works like a Mac Strut.
The fact it has a cylinder instead of a spring is irrelevant. It's a Mac Strut with a ball 'anging out the top.
So what would happen if you dissconected the hydraulic pump?
It would not work, the suspension would sink to the ground.
Why??
Cos it's not a Mcferson strut.
As said before, it's built that way to fool people like you into thinking that the suspension is "normal"
Regards Slim
Slim ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<rolls eyes> A spring wrapped around the outside is not the only characteristic of a Mac Strut.
Ignore the actual springing medium, and look at how the wheel is physically attached to the car.
A lower arm with a balljoint connected to a hub mounted on the bottom of a strut, which heads upwards to a rotating top mounted on the inner wing. The entire strut turns with the steering.
It's a friggin' Mac Strut. As fitted to Cortinas for years. It just has a hydraulic cylinder in the middle instead of a damper and doesn't have a coil spring wrapped round the outside. If I could be arsed, I'd go and take a pic of the spare pair of XM struts kicking about in one of my lockups.
That's the only difference, and a fairly subtle one.
If you think that the actual springing medium makes more than a smidgin of difference, you might like to look at the rear subframe of a C15 and that of a BX, and consider why a hydraulic BX subframe bolts straight into a C15 instead of the one with springs. Or are you going to tell me they aren't both trailing arms, because one uses a spring and one a cylinder?

You're funny.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were

cortina mk 4 and five that i drove didnt have struts they had an upper and lower arm system with a coil spring and shocker was seperate nothing like a macpherson strut layout