Question

Page 2 of 3
Mindwipe (jeffinleeds@nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<sigh> Forgive me for not being expert on Cortinas...
<wanders off, muttering> One bloody light-hearted remark...
I dunno who I'm agreeing with here as I lost the thread but ...
... I reckon the "Macpherson-ness" of the thing is the wheel attachment/articulation part of the design , rather than the spring and damping system ... the design just generally lends itself to incorporation of these features.
But hey dont listen to me ask these people seem to have all the answers ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macpherson_strut
atb

dont think any of it truly matters just light hearted banter :--)

"The only thing that matters is the data - everything else belongs to philosophy."

nah .... 'it 'im ... ;-)
drd ( snipped-for-privacy@CITYZOO.COM) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<whimper>
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying

"hang on, let me take my glasses off " <runs away>
It was a quiet night at the Citroen Owners Fight Club ... again ...

Huh? Care to explain that? Xantia front hydraulic units are nothing like Cortina suspension.
--
Malc

"Ah, that did it. Spare brain in action, I'm ready to go again!"
The ford cortina uses shocks and springs as its suspension.
The Citroen Xantia uses hydraulics, If you look under the bonnet you will see a green ball, this is the sphere. The sphere is the unit that does all of the suspension work.
The main principal of any hydraulic system is, You can compress a gas but not a liquid.
The Citroen system uses suspension controlled by hydraulics running at 145- to 175- this equates to approx 2750psi.
In the sphere you have a rubber diaphragm, this seperates the hydraulic fluid from the gas pressure in the top of the sphere, as the wheel travels up and down the diaphragm in the sphere moves back and forth giving the comfy suspension found in hydraulic sprung cars.
If you remove the sphere and look into the neck, you will see a silver looking plate with a small hole in the center, this part is the damper. The damper controlls the rate or how fast the fluid can get in and out of the sphere, thus damping the suspension rather than bouncing all over the place like a tennis ball.
The strut is only a transfer mechanism to transfer the movement of the rubber diaphragm in the sphere to the wheel. Inside the strut there is only a piston used to transfer this movement smoothly.
Upon removing the front strut on a Xantia you will find that there is no resistance at all if you push and pull the piston in and out.
Upon removing the front strut on a ford you will find lots of resistance.
Have a look up into the wheel arch of a Xantia, there is no spring, just a plastic gaiter to stop the muck from getting in.
Try lifting the suspension on a cortina up a few inches to get through a stream then putting it down again afterwards, all by moving a lever in the car?
Sorry but ther is no simerlaritys at all. except the fact that both have round wheels.
Hope this explains something.
Regards, Slim

Snip Long Explanation

Yes I know that, it's the previous poster I wanted to get an explanation from.
--
Malc

"Ah, that did it. Spare brain in action, I'm ready to go again!"
Slim ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And Mac Struts. Like the BX and XM and C5.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were

mmmm

Yes, me for example. If you take Xantia parts to spoil a DS, I would suggest a 3.0i V6 and an activa suspension. IMHO a Wankel engine, maybe from the Mazda RX8, would indeed add some mystique to a GS.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You mean like Citroen built and sold as the GZ Birotor?
Perhaps even more interestingly, it'd probably fit a 2cv...

Sorry, typo, I meant a Deesse. I always thought that this car deserved a somewhat more sophisticated engine. The Hybrid powertrain of a Toyota Prius might also be an interesting option (although a little bit underpowered), and one would have to fit the electric HD pump of a C5 into the project, so that the car stays operational when the engine switches off;-)

My favourite panic project has always been a Trabant Tourist with a BMW M635i engine mounted in the rear;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And it should have had one.
The DS was originally planned to have a flat-six - and at least two engines still exist - one air-cooled, one water-cooled. The CX was going to have a triple-rotor Wankel.
Unfortunately, in typical Citroen style, the perennially awkward subject of money (or complete lack thereof) came up in both cases...

Ever driven a Prius? There's a good reason nobody else has followed that path into production yet. It's Really Not That Great. Actually, it's fairly dire.
PSA have got the Hybride HDi C4/307 - but reckon it's ten years from economically viable production. So how much are Toyota subsidising the Prius? Yes, there's the Honda Civic IMA - but that's not even a true Hybrid - the petrol engine (why are they both petrol?) has to stay running at all times, the electrics just "assist".
This is, of course, all stuff Citroen did in the late '90s with the Dynavolt and Dynactive Saxos/Xsaras/B'lingos. The Dynalto is now in production as the C3 Stop'n'Start (Somebody shoot that marketing person!)

You've seen the Lotus Esprit/Acadiane?

Yes, and I was quite pleased by its performance in heavy stop&go traffic. My Xantia burns about twice as much fuel - but its susension is way better;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, but that's about all it's any good at - get it on the open road, and it's just awful.

According to the official figures, perhaps. On the test drive I had, according to the fuel computer I managed about 50% better than my petrol automatic XM...

Unfortunately not. My Xantia 2.0i 8V with 4 speed auto trans burns 12 litres per 100 km in mainly (80%) city traffic. This is less than the fuel consumption reported by german car mag auto motor sport, but I am disappointed nevertheless. My '92 BMW 325i Convertible /w auto trans burns about the same amount of fuel when driven under similar conditions, but it burns regular fuel instead of premium fuel, and it has two additional cylinders, 50 additional horsepowers and a drag coefficient like a brick.
For a medium size 4 door hatcbback with 120 HP, the Xantia is surprisingly uneconomical. Okay, it is way cheaper to buy preowned, compared to a BMW 3'series, Mercedes C class or such.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :
<Of his Boring Munich Wagon>

<as the 2.0 8v Xant needs>
Why on earth are you putting premium in the Xant? Normal everyday 95 undeaded's fine for it.

In Germany there are basically three grades of petrol available:
"Normal" (91 octane), "Super" (95 octane), "Super plus" (98 octane, nowadays often replaxed by extra expensive fuel like Aral Optimate or Shell Vmax with 100 octane). All brands are unleaded.
My BMW is rated "Normal unleaded", my Xantia is rated "Super unleaded", which makes a difference of approx. 3 eurocent per liter :-(. The dealer where I bought the car recommended using "Super plus" with 98 octane, but I could not find any consumption advantage worth the extra cost .
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance