Saxo Windscreen washers&brakes.

Hi all, The windscreen washers packed up for no apparent reason on my dads 2001 Saxo forte 1.1i. Before we take a luck, anyone have any clues?
Oh, and there is water in the reservoir!
Also, he has been advised he needs new discs and pads. The thing has only done about 20K and he doesn't drive it hard. Is this reasonable? I thought they were having a laugh!
Cheers, R.