Slipping (SQUEEEKY !! ) Fan Belt

I took my Xsara 1.8 to my local Citroen main dealer because the fan belt squeeks (slipps a bit) when pulling away or while the engine is still cold. The belt was put on new about 5000 miles ago so it is quite new.

The main dealer looked at it but couldn't fix the problem because the the the car has self tensioners on the belt that can't be adjusted. They could not do anything to help.

So, now I have a car with a squeeky belt and no prospect of a cure..

Is there anyone here who's got any ideas how I can cure my squeeking belt ?

-- Steve B

Reply to
Steve

Are all the pulleys working properly?

There may be a problem with something driven by the belt - often the water-pump but could be the alternator. I don't know if the Xsara has a history of problems with those items, but having had cars of many makes and vintages, in my experience a squeeky fan-belt is /never/ 'OK'.

Reply to
Whiskers

It's possible that the self tensioner is faulty (maybe breaking up) or something else too tight (alternater etc.)

MikeE

Reply to
MikeE

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anyways, I bought a can of anti-slip spray and gave the belt a good going over.

It seems to be a bit better than it was. Makes a different noise now - more like a Duck..

Quaaaaaak

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve

They should also have changed the pully/self tensioner with the belt. A Citroen dealer who fixed my car when the belt was broken told me that this is a complete kit including the pully/self tensioner.

"Steve" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@spandrell.news.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
VTR16V