Spare Wheel Theft

Hi All.
Somebody has just stolen the spare tyre on my new Berlingo Multispace. Citroen offer a fix to make it more difficult, for 30 mind. Any experience
from anybody as to a way of making the spare more secure?
JohnD
Hi JohnD

Snap. Had the same thing happen to me 6 months or so ago.
Report the crime to the Police, get a crime number. Just give them teh information you know. I had no idea that mine had gone until I had the first years service.
Phone Citroen HQ and tell them. They will contact your dealer and arrange for a spare wheel lock to be supplied and fitted free of charge.
They will not however pay for a tyre or rim
I had loads of rows with both Citroen UK and my dealer who both know about this problem but dont fit the lock before delivering the car!!!!
It seems that the 15" tyres are most prized by the light fingerd brigade.
Thank you Thanatos, I will try that. Did you have to apply a lot of pressure or were they reasonable?
JohnD

Hi JohnD

I was given no information about this free lock by my dealer.
The lady I spoke to at Citroen HQ was very helpful indeed. BUT they will insist you report it to the police first. If you give the HQ a crime number they will give you another number (blowed if I can remember what they called it now) and HQ will tell your dealer. Armed with both these numbers your dealer will fit a 'k locking device'
Once the HQ had spoken to my dealer, the dealer was very helpful.
The thing that annoys me immensley, is that all the dealers, Citroen HQ and the Police know about this problem, but no one tells you when you buy the car!!
Regards
<snip>

need a spare wheel for my Xantia because the spare has gone a bit rusty around the bolt holes. Can I find one in the scrappies, can I heck.
--
Malc

"Evil doers prepare to become evil don'ters" - Stripperella
Hi Malc

It cost me 29 for a new wheel (not including tyre) for my multispace from a Citroen dealer.
Regards
Hi

Did you get this sorted??
No. Blanked by Citroen. Could not get them to admit that they had any liability for the poor design of the bracket that holds the spare tyre. I had a look at it and can see several ways to improve the security. I am too busy at the moment to modify the design and only hope that they do not come back for the new wheel and tyre before I am able to do something. Thanks for your assist. JohnD.

JohnD ( snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I went into two Cit dealer parts depts the other week. Both had prominent notices saying there had been a number of spare wheel thefts and that they could supply a lock kit.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Just dicovered mine gone !
125 lighter.
Any ideas on how they do it ? I don't need specifics - but is it brute force as suggested by Mr Citroen or as I suspect - having demonstrated it in the show room simply unscrewing it.
CElliott ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If it's anything like the one on my XM, there's a clamp that's on a screw thread - as you unscrew (from inside), the clamp's lowered. You can then unhook the clamp. There's also a safety catch (like on the bonnet).
I suspect that the scrotes just use a bit of brute force and ignorance and bend either the clamp or the carrier.
It's not just a Cit problem - Vauxhall also sling the spare under the boot floor. In many ways, it's a good place for it.
Hi
gurgled happily, sounding much

It can be done with VERY little force.
There goes a 185*15 wheel and tyre :-( (or whatever size you have)
When I spoke to Citroen UK I was sent a letter telling me that they could not make the wheel more secure, as when a person gets a puncture they do not the inconvenience of discovering that their spare wheel is difficult to lower.
I told the 'plonker' I would rather have the inconvenience than to discover the dam thing had been nicked!! It cannot get more inconvenient than THAT?.
Hi All. The problem, IMHO, is that the "hook" that is threaded onto the screw is too shallow. In my case, the scrotes were able to lever the wire that forms the basket that the tyre sits in, out of this hook and so take the tyre. I can see the grove in the metal left by the use of a jemmy or large screwdriver. From talking to people who quote to car manufacturers, the cost margins are very tight, to the extent that in areas like this the job is not done properly. For an additional few pence, the metal would be thicker and the hook deeper, forcing the scrotes to use bolt cutters. Ho hum! JohnD.
gurgled happily, sounding much