T-shirt

In another newsgroup someone (-=Hawk=-) made this for me.

:-)

Reply to
2Rowdy

Yes, very nice.....

I'll bet you wear it all the time.

Reply to
Henrietta K Thomas

I was reading , made by the entity known as Henrietta K Thomas, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

Naturally. Together with my Citroen baseball cap.

Reply to
2Rowdy

All I need is a 2CV but what should I do with my Xantia?

Reply to
2Rowdy

Trade it?

Are you now encouraging the use of talkabout web forums to interact with newsgroups?

Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

For your beaten up ZX. I think not. Are you going for the bullbar 2CV?

No. There is a discussion going on in news.groups and some think web2news is something new. That's why I tested talkabout remembering one poster in here. Horrible quote (none) but free, terrible slow. I thought I would be able to log into their server but I can't. It appears they have no server, they appear to post using supernews (and I couldn't log in there either).

Reply to
2Rowdy

Mine's right-hand drive anyway. I probably will get the dents seen to properly, eventually.

Probably not this year. Replacing the rotting window-frames in the flat will have to take priority. I'd also want to make room in the garage for any car with a soft roof - I wouldn't trust the vandals to keep away from it. (The 2CV I had in the 70s had the roof slashed a few times).

I suspect their intention is to generate income from adverts on the web pages; currently, they seem to be only 'Google' ads which can be zapped simply by disabling 'javascript' in your browser.

If you click on 'About' at the foot of the 'web forum' page, there is an image of very small print which says "Developed and Powered by MediaGlitch.com ..."; is just a few lines of text with a link to which my browser can't get a response from.

A little digging reveals:-

.-----[ dig talkaboutnetwork.com ] | ; DiG 9.3.1 talkaboutnetwork.com | ;; global options: printcmd | ;; Got answer: | ;; ->>HEADER appears they have no server, they appear to post using supernews (and

Correct. I wonder if Supernews are aware of what's going on? The traffic may not be enough to get close attention from Supernews.

I have encountered other usurpers of newsgroups; from my scorefile:

Score:: -13 %web forum posting Message-ID: photographytalk\.net Message-ID: allthenewsgroups\.com Message-ID: interbbs\.com Message-ID: talkaboutautos\.com

Articles posted via any of them are rare. There is another, whose URL I forget, which doesn't generate unique MIDs so I don't try to score it;

24hoursupport.helpdesk has had one or two people turning up from it.
Reply to
Whiskers

I was reading , made by the entity known as Whiskers, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

So you are still considering it. If that one breaks down you can blame Adrian:-)

I vaguely remember they had a pay service some years ago. Not sure though.

[dig, dig, dig]

A big one, from Germany with offices in the US. Schlund.de and schlund.info are the same. Connections with GMX.net,

1and1.com and ev1.net. Did a dig yesterday on alcatroll.com (PJR uses that) and also ended up at schlund.

If you dig into mediaglitch.com you will find a link with bohemians.org.

I suspect the talkaboutnetwork thing originated from there. It looks like a hobby grown too big and dying cos of Google. It has a directory structure that does not follow the hierarchy structure, i.e. manual labor. I says it also is connected to other types of forums and it has registered a number of sub-sites. The site needs maintenance.

It has had a lot of traffic until Google.groups started. A few years ago the path also started at Supernews so they must know. The network has been abused.

Reply to
2Rowdy

A 2CV is one possibility. The one I had was fun, and remarkably versatile and comfortable. Lack of non-essential complexity is attractive, and I like 'quirky' and 'eccentric' when the underlying concepts are elegant and effective.

snip

[about talkabout network ...]

Perhaps it will whither away.

Competition for Google Groups is not a bad thing, but trying to provide a public web interface for posting to newsgroups is not easy - I have yet to see it done satisfactorily.

If Talkabout do still maintain a usenet archive, then it might be useful for them to concentrate on that (and promoting it) without providing a posting service at all - or perhaps operating a proper news-server for that aspect. I agree that ignoring the real newgroup heirarchies introduces both confusion and excessive maintenance.

It does look that way, although that may not have been the intention.

Reply to
Whiskers