The history of Citroen

Page 2 of 2

<http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/ has a little 'javascript' thatdisplays a scrolling message in the 'status bar' of the browser, saying (in this case) "Welcome to Citroenet". Scary, isn't it!
Most people don't notice such messages - some browsers don't even have a 'status bar', and many people disable 'javascript' anyway - so I don't know why web site designers bother to include such fripperies; they certainly aren't any sort of 'threat', not even to Windows.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

No, this script is not a threat, the problem is what it might mask...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I was reading <

If there was a thread we get free whiskey from Julian. (wished there was a thread)
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
( change dot com to .com to reply )
Jerry wrote:

Have you heard the song "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Jerry wrote:

Ye gods, all this because of a tiddly little message. If you had explained the problem at the start then you wouldn't have come across as an arrogant wotsit and have to start abusing others. Sheesh.
--
Malc

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend
‚úĖ
Jerry ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I dunno what it masks, but it's certainly revealing plenty about you, Jerry. Again.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Mask? I think that if someone was trying to sneak a 'nasty' onto your system from a website, you would not notice anything at all until some time afterwards - if then.
If you want to be paranoid about your computer's vulnerabilities, then you should not use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express for anything, you should install and keep up-to-date all the patches and security updates and so on for your operating system and all your programs (or delete the programs you aren't using), and you should install and keep up-to-date whatever 'anti-adware', 'anti-spyware', and 'anti-virus' applications take your fancy, along with a 'firewall' - preferably a 'hardware firewall' built into a 'router' between your computer and the internet. Or simply not use Windows at all for anything involving the internet.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ITYM "Don't use the internet"
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Range Rover Vogue EFI

snip
Not quite; I haven't used Windows for anything involving the internet, for quite some time now. My life is much easier now :))
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Whiskers wrote:

Now THAT I can believe..lol.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

May I interest you in a roll of tin foil?
--
Tunku

"end user" v. A command regrettably not implemented in most systems.
‚úĖ
Whiskers wrote:

We should hunt him down and kill him... So this is what it`s about? No wonder there are so many wars breaking out...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
snip

Thanks to your question, my 'bookmarks' file just got bigger :))
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Whiskers wrote: