Veggie oil - the truth.

At the risk of sounding arsey - read the OP...

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Yeah, a lot of places use an oil/fat mix. However, if it is liquid at the apropriate temperature for your climate there is no reason why it can't be used as fuel. Animal fat burns just the same as veggie oil or diesel.

The trouble with used is getting the crud out. To filter it sufficiently is very time consuming (its a very viscous product and the particulates you need to remove are very small...).

There is a method of precipitating the particulates using a chemical or other that I can't quite remember the name of - it literally is a case of bung some into a drum of the stuff and syphon off the nice clear stuff from the top.

Remember with used stuff you *will* smell like where you get it from!!!

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Sadly true; real lard is rarely used by chippies these days. Probably because the oil is so much easier to handle.

snip

Reply to
Whiskers

So does drd's version; but he's fallen into the 'cursor at the top of the body' trap and probably hasn't noticed the reams of quoted stuff below his message.

Reply to
Whiskers

I think you could register yourself as a 'used cooking oil re-cycler' too; if you're only doing it for your own use and don't get paid for taking the stuff away, there probably won't be any great problem. Using the stuff as fuel is a perfectly acceptable way of disposing of it. You do have the 'residues' to get rid of properly of course.

As soon as the numbers look as though they add up to 'profit' I'm sure someone will start to process used cooking fats and other organic wastes into vehicle fuel on a commercial basis. There are probably 'pilot projects' already under way.

Reply to
Whiskers

aha - like this huh?

apologies for past lack of netiquette ....

best regards to all

Steve

Reply to
drd

Whiskers ( snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Together with health concerns over saturated fats, and veggies not liking chips cooked in cow.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Whiskers contains these words:

Not really. They have to cater for Vegetarians, Muslims and other Ethic minorities TAAAW.

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

Rodney Wakefield ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm not convinced that Veggies count as an ethnic minority...

Reply to
Adrian

Nor do Muslims.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. Not with somewhere around 200,000 (15% or so) UK Muslims being "white". The rest are a mix of ethnic groups - Subcontinent, Arab, sub- Saharan "black" and gawd knows what else.

But I think they might be able to lay a better claim on the term that lentil-munchers.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Re-read my post. I did not write Ethnic!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

OK, I'm flummoxed again; TAAAW? Even doesn't know that one.

Actually, chippies don't /have/ to cater for 'minorities'; it might be good business to do so where a minority predominates, of course. I'd be surprised if a typical chippy were to be Halal, or Kosher for that matter, whatever the frying medium is, and certainly not vegetarian (unless there is a seperate vegetables-only fryer).

Around here, the chippies are mostly run by a 'minority', ie 'Chinese'. They seem to be quite happy dealing with pork, shellfish, squid, or anything else vaguely edible - all in the same wrapper if you want. I think some of our fried chicken and 'kebab' purveyors could be of a Moslem persuasion, and a Hindu/Buddhist vegetarian restaurant managed to survive for a few years. We can also get curried goat and other 'West Indian' delights (or indeed, whole goats from some of our butchers). Strangely, the native 'jellied eels' and 'pie and mash' are not in evidence at all.

Reply to
Whiskers

The message from Whiskers contains these words:

Too, Also, And As Well. A somewhat overly re-inforcement of a point. :-)

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

And having just spoken to the fella... the stuff you need is sodium methoxide - not a particularly nice chemical and you have to know what you are doing with it in relation to the process of precipitation and the relative quantities...

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Rodney Wakefield ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed you did not...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes but you also need to snip signatures too, otherwise you still get another couple of lines of crap creeping in (and there's usually crap in my sig)

Reply to
Malc

I've been reading uk.rec.sheds for so long I didn't even notice the TAAAW!

Reply to
Malc

The message from Adrian contains these words:

:-)

Reply to
Rodney Wakefield

I wondered why Google wanted to send me to the shed when I sought enlightenment.

Reply to
Whiskers