Veggie oil - the truth.

Page 2 of 4
Whiskers ( snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Together with health concerns over saturated fats, and veggies not liking chips cooked in cow.

Not really. They have to cater for Vegetarians, Muslims and other Ethic minorities TAAAW.
--
Rod

Rodney Wakefield ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm not convinced that Veggies count as an ethnic minority...

Nor do Muslims.
--

Ian

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. Not with somewhere around 200,000 (15% or so) UK Muslims being "white". The rest are a mix of ethnic groups - Subcontinent, Arab, sub- Saharan "black" and gawd knows what else.
But I think they might be able to lay a better claim on the term that lentil-munchers.

Re-read my post. I did not write Ethnic!!!!!!!
--
Rod

Rodney Wakefield ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<re-reads> <rubs eyes> <re-reads> <rubs eyes> <re-reads> Indeed you did not...

:-)
--
Rod

OK, I'm flummoxed again; TAAAW? Even <http://www.noslang.com/ doesn't know that one.
Actually, chippies don't /have/ to cater for 'minorities'; it might be good business to do so where a minority predominates, of course. I'd be surprised if a typical chippy were to be Halal, or Kosher for that matter, whatever the frying medium is, and certainly not vegetarian (unless there is a seperate vegetables-only fryer).
Around here, the chippies are mostly run by a 'minority', ie 'Chinese'. They seem to be quite happy dealing with pork, shellfish, squid, or anything else vaguely edible - all in the same wrapper if you want. I think some of our fried chicken and 'kebab' purveyors could be of a Moslem persuasion, and a Hindu/Buddhist vegetarian restaurant managed to survive for a few years. We can also get curried goat and other 'West Indian' delights (or indeed, whole goats from some of our butchers). Strangely, the native 'jellied eels' and 'pie and mash' are not in evidence at all.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Too, Also, And As Well. A somewhat overly re-inforcement of a point. :-)
--
Rod

contains these words:

I've been reading uk.rec.sheds for so long I didn't even notice the TAAAW!
--
Malc

No evil genius is available to take your call at this time.

I wondered why Google wanted to send me to the shed when I sought enlightenment.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

... if your local chippy uses vegetable oil he might pay you to take the used stuff off his hands for you to filter and use as fuel.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

No, it needs more than that, there is animal fat and other contaminants in used chip fat.

Yeah, a lot of places use an oil/fat mix. However, if it is liquid at the apropriate temperature for your climate there is no reason why it can't be used as fuel. Animal fat burns just the same as veggie oil or diesel.
The trouble with used is getting the crud out. To filter it sufficiently is very time consuming (its a very viscous product and the particulates you need to remove are very small...).
There is a method of precipitating the particulates using a chemical or other that I can't quite remember the name of - it literally is a case of bung some into a drum of the stuff and syphon off the nice clear stuff from the top.
Remember with used stuff you *will* smell like where you get it from!!!
CAS

from
And having just spoken to the fella... the stuff you need is sodium methoxide - not a particularly nice chemical and you have to know what you are doing with it in relation to the process of precipitation and the relative quantities...
CAS
Whiskers wrote:

Except that, IIRC, used cooking oil is now classed as a hazardous waste and has to be disposed of properly (ie paperwork which can be traced) and can't just be given away.
It would have made sense to recycle it as fuel, another opportunity missed.....
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually

Round Gloucester you can take it to the local tip and they'll recycle it for biodiesel or so they say. Mind you if it's anything like their asbestos disposal place I wouldn't be so sure.
--
Malc

No evil genius is available to take your call at this time.

I think you could register yourself as a 'used cooking oil re-cycler' too; if you're only doing it for your own use and don't get paid for taking the stuff away, there probably won't be any great problem. Using the stuff as fuel is a perfectly acceptable way of disposing of it. You do have the 'residues' to get rid of properly of course.
As soon as the numbers look as though they add up to 'profit' I'm sure someone will start to process used cooking fats and other organic wastes into vehicle fuel on a commercial basis. There are probably 'pilot projects' already under way.
--
-- Whiskers

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/news/newsarchive2005/oct2005/New+scheme+turns+used+cooking+oil+into+diesel.htm
Looks like exactly what they're doing in Southeast London...
Regards, Jason.
--
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.