Veggie oil - the truth.

Page 3 of 4
Jason Arthurs wrote:

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/news/newsarchive2005/oct2005/New+scheme+turns+used+cooking+oil+into+diesel.htm
Indeed.
My comment referred to the likes of you and me befriending our local chippy, blagging some used oil and doing it ourselves.....
I read somewhere (but typically can't find it now :o) ) that catering establishments now (or will shortly) have to prove that their waste oil has been sent to an 'approved' disposal site and not just 'tipped down the drain' as mentioned in the article you gave. This would preclude the DIYer as it would be prohibitively expensive to get yourself set up as an approved recycler.
The HSE have something to say about DIY biodiesel too :o)
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually

--
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.
Adrian wrote:

Don't you have to add something to the veggie oil - white spirit or something ? Does it mix ok with diesel ?
-- Tim Robson mailto: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
(remove trousers please!)

At the risk of sounding arsey - read the OP...
CAS
Hi I have a '92 ZX 1.9D Auto. I have tried running on Veg oil but in anything like slightly chilli weather it struggles at tickover, It's fine on a day like today (20c+) but even early this morning at maybe 7-8c it still stopped a couple of times. I know several other people with ZX's who have no problems. No one has any idea but have no direct experience of Diesel Autos. Does anyone have an answer?
JMThompson ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It has been pleasantly hot lately, hasn't it? But I haven't noticed many kidney beans about...
Or did you mean "Chilly"?

Glow plugs? Is it running on all four when it struggles to idle? Oil waxing? Does it do it if you fill with normal diesel?
What are you actually filling it with? Just plain ordinary supermarket stripy cooking oil? Or are you going through the whole process of treating it and turning it into biodiesel?
The one thing that's certain is that if it's doing it at idle, it's nothing to do with the fact it's an auto.
(My mind boggles as to how sluggish an auto 1.9D ZX must be...)
I was reading < and I became inspired,> What are you actually filling it with? Just plain ordinary

I read somewhere that biodiesel can dissolve rubber. Biodiesel is chemical transferred vegetable (waste) oil. They do that to reduce viscosity afaik.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

That is not entirely true, it depends on the type of bio diesel. It is the additive which is harmful to some types of rubber.
Lots of information here http://www.bio-power.co.uk/index.htm
If you are running on 100% veggie oil, as bought in a supermarket, then you really need an additional heat exchanger to warm it up a bit, as it is far more viscous than pump diesel. On the other hand, a 50/50 mix works fine.
In the UK you also risk having the vehicle confiscated, and then offered back to you at market value, on top of a fine etc. It is cheaper to murder someone in the UK than deny the greedy government some money. Oh, and people have been caught using veggie oil in the UK.
"In the UK you also risk having the vehicle confiscated, and then offered back to you at market value, on top of a fine etc. It is cheaper to murder someone in the UK than deny the greedy government some money. Oh, and people have been caught using veggie oil in the UK."
This seems to contradict what I have read elsewhere here which suuggests that the only action taken would be that you have to pay the duty on what you have in the tank.

Well, I have seen posts confirming my claim. Certainly HM C&E do have the right to confiscate the vehicle in the case of duty evasion on road fuel. Same applies to veggie oil as red diesel.
Anyway, anyone who wants to take a chance is free to do so. Just be prepared for the worst. I also saw a post with a reference to HM C&E website which claimed that pure veggie oil was not classed as bio-diesel, and so attracted the full excise duty.

The UK govt tax-collectors' web site is undergoing reconstruction at present, so the search for 'biodiesel' throws up lots of links that are broken. Probably something to do with the recent decision to join 'Inland Revenue' and 'Customs and Excise' into one entity, 'Revenue and Customs' <http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ .
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Would pre-existing clogging of the fuel lines, filters if any, and jets, make cool-weather running on PVO less reliable than if there were no such clogging?
I haven't made any detailed comparisons, but the oil I use in the kitchen does seem to be noticeably thicker than the mineral diesel that goes into the car. So I'd expect the mineral oil would be less impeded by clogged pipes.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Garages offer a more thorough chemical clean-through than most of the normal 'consumer' additives can manage.
Does the "talkaboutautos.com" web interface you are using offer the facility to 'quote' relevent text from the article you are replying to, so as to give context to your reply? That would give those of us using the normal access to newsgroups a much easier time working out what it is you are replying to ;)) (I've patched in the contextual 'quotes' in this reply, so that you can see what I mean - unless the service you are using contrives to hide it somehow).
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

I have a 97 Xantia TD. I have it running now for about 15000km on 50% sunflower oil mixed with diesel. It ran without problems when it was -7C this winter. The only problem I have is the morning after filling the veggy oil. The car doesn't run smooth since it isn't mixed yet, the engine has never stalled though. Tried to solve it with a hand pump and recirculate, it's a bit better now. Had a close look at the fuel filter recently and it was completely clean. I think veggy oil is cleaner as diesel. You wouldn't cook a steak in diesel.
I have heart of people that run a VW Golf on pure veggy oil. But that's hear-say.
I had a small warning. If caught customs (I'm in The Netherlands) will charge taxes from the day you registered the car and add a small fee above that. But Diesel is e1.10 and sunflowerpower is e0.70 and I don't know of anyone that had their fuel tanks sniffed. <knocks wood>
But, If you try it and loose the engine in the process, don't come and blame me.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup
<snip>

I'd have thought rape seed oil would be sufficient!
coming from the affluent south where we're all posh, I get my butler to fill the car with 50% organic extra virgin olive oil with a hint of korean toasted sesame oil ... I haven't notice any change in performance, and my driver informs me that the jalopy starts fine first time (in the heated garage of course which may help ...) Obviously we dont care about saving any money but the aroma from the tailpipe is quite intoxicating ...
all the best
Dr Dolittle
I was reading < and I became inspired,> <snip>

I guess it is. But they sell it here in glass bottles as if it is something special, price is higher. The sunflowerpower is sold in plastic 1 liter bottles packed in boxes containing 15 bottles. I haven't seen cheaper vegetable oil, yet.

Hahaha. I always get an urge for chips when I smell it.

The sheep lied.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

I have noticed that the UK is the only place where rape seed oil is cheaper and readily available. I also note that our local Tesco has raised the price from 43p to 53p /litre in the last couple of weeks. But of course diesel is now 99p per litre, about 1.40?.
Brian wrote:

it's 99.9p a litre here now - I thought the pump was broken the other day when the "litres" dial and the "" dial were going round at the same rate !!!
they should do something about it I'm sure ...
atb