WARNING virusmails in newsgroups

How the virus does it I don't know but it manages to post messages to Usenet. The messages I have seen are HTML pages that appear to come from Microsoft.
They have an attachment. Do not open that attachment! If possible do not open that mail.
If you are using MSOutlook Express be sure you have set you security settings right. Be sure you have the latest updates on your machine and use a virusscanner. http://www.free-av.com/ is good and is free. Use a firewall http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/spf/default.htm Also free and good.
Microsoft never sends patches or updates by e-mail and Usenet!
Now I need an excuse to make this on-topic again. What about the C6?
--
Johan; Certifiable me. Deadspam=> Hotm ail to reply
Ik vrees ANS (www.aacit.net/ans)

If such messages are appearing in usenet, then I'd guess that someone is doing it on purpose, perhaps out of a misguided attempt at being helpful, or perhaps with malice. As the attachments are 'binaries', text-only news-servers will block them - but they might get through in binary groups.

I use a PDA running Windows CE in my car, sometimes, so it's not entirely off topic ;)) (At home, my desktop runs Linux).
Yes, what about the C6?
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net
Message i.d.: wrote:

It must be the server I use but I have seen them in text-only newsgroups :-( According to someone I have heard the virus gets the addresses not only form the addressbook but also from send mails, those include Usenet mails. So I suspect is is not done on purpose, I hope.

:-)
I don't know. Will it even come of is it dreamdust?
--
Johan; Certifiable me. Deadspam=> Hotm ail to reply
Ik vrees ANS (www.aacit.net/ans)
In alt.autos.citroen on Sunday 21 Sep 2003 6:19 pm, 2Rowdy
snip

snip
Odd things do sometimes propagate in the 'wrong' groups, if they get posted to a server that isn't very discriminating.
Usenet is not e-mail, although some e-mail clients do have the ability to read and post in newsgroups. Newsgroup posting details aren't kept in the 'address book' though, even Outlook Express manages to keep them apart I think.
The 'to' field in an e-mail doesn't exist in something sent to a newsgroup; the message headers for email and usenet are quite different. If there was a virus (or some other 'nasty') designed to send bogus news-group articles, I think we'd be seeing them all over the busy groups. So I still think that if such messages are popping up in just a few places and in small numbers, they are being put there deliberately for some reason.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net

Read and shiver. Swen issa strong beast and it does manage what you think it can't. The reason why we don't see them so often is thanks to the people that cancel these messages. http://shorterlink.com/?WB7IXL
--
Johan; Certifiable me. Deadspam=> Hotm ail to reply
Ik vrees ANS (www.aacit.net/ans)
In alt.autos.citroen on Tuesday 23 Sep 2003 5:27 pm, 2Rowdy

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net
Johan; Certifiable me. Deadspam=> Hotm ail to reply
Ik vrees ANS (www.aacit.net/ans)
In alt.autos.citroen on Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 8:23 pm, 2Rowdy
snip

them, and haven't been able to connect at all for a few days. It's probably gone off-line, at least to unregistered users, or is effectively being subject to a DoS. That is /very/ annoying.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net

All the more reason to use a decent NewsServer that just won't allow Binaries through to non-Binary groups, like this one. I haven't seen a single Swen in a newsgroup yet.
In alt.autos.citroen on Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 9:06 pm, Adrian
snip

Nor have I.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net
Message i.d.: wrote:

I use my ISP's server. That one has the virus postings but when I look at the German server there are none.
--
Johan; Certifiable me. Deadspam=> Hotm ail to reply
Ik vrees ANS (www.aacit.net/ans)
In alt.autos.citroen on Thursday 25 Sep 2003 5:14 pm, 2Rowdy

Vorsprung durch technik, as the car adverts say ;))
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net

I didn't think I'd seen any. Could it be the 'jumping C5'? They say that kangeroos are very energy-efficient so could Citroen be working on a car that travels kangeroo-fashion to get better fuel economy?
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
-- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net