Xantia 1.9td total light failure, help needed

Hi and thanks for helping, I have got a 96 Xantia 1.9td and have now got total light failure on all headlights full/dip sidelights (and maybe the codepad too) all the fuses are okay, not that they all would go but looked anyway, if you can help please email Richard snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Reply to
Mr R Flood

What do you mean exactly when you say maybe the code pad too? I would have thought that either it worked or it didn't. If all the lights are out then I would suspect a feed to the light switch or a dodgy switch. You have to find something that is common to all the circuits. The codepad bit puzzles me though.

Reply to
Malc

Hi Malc, the codepad is not working now but may not be linked ? the light switch has 2 feeds in and 4 switching parts inside it for the lights and the only common part is the battery output, so total puzzle. Thanks Richard

Reply to
VWcars

IIRC the code pad is on fuse 2. When this went on mine the speedo stopped too. Actually it was the speedo sensor blowing the fuse. So the battery line to the switch is ok? Can you measure voltage on it? If so then it's probably the switch unless the switched outputs go to relays in which case I'd suspect a dodgy earth in the relay box. Switch cleaner may be your friend here (Maplins, RS Components etc). Spray it into the switch and work the switch several times.

As all your lights have failed it's unlikely to be an earth on the lamps themselves but you could run a wire from the lamp housing to the battery negative as a test.

Reply to
Malc

Hi Malc, I done some teating today and there is no feed to the light fuses for the switch but I do not know what wire feeds the lights on the switch, some said the loom under the radiator is the feed and the fault and that may feed the keypad too ? I will have a look tomorrow. Thanks Richard

Reply to
VWcars